myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hello, I'm new
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bowen1

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David. Welcome to windsurfing.

I agree, this board can work for you if you are able to work through the mast foot issues that go with buying old gear. Many of us learned on exactly this type of board. They were called transition boards. The sailor transitioned from displacement sailing ( dagger board down) to planing - dagger board fully retracted and maybe in the footstraps, but definitely approaching warp speed!

That last part is what will is what will get you hooked. Check back for further advice later. And not to worry, you will make plenty of mistakes along the way, in every aspect of this sport. Just try to keep the $ and physical damage limited.

Cheers.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a shop local to you? I highly recommend finding somebody with encyclopedic gear knowledge to help you with this board. Not because the board's inherently bad -it's not, but because the fittings used during that period were just prior to standardization.

i'm sure your physical abilities on the water are only going to help you progress, but windsurfing's most basic element is sailing -especially when beginning. Sailing isn't exactly obvious to most, so connecting with a good shop with good people will keep you on the right track for gear and technique. You might make some of the best friends imaginable.

isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If lessons are not readily available in Houston, a road trip for lessons with World Winds at Corpus's Bird Island Basin is HIGHLY advised. This ain't stand-up PWC or skiing; that sail greatly compounds (and improves) the sport even for boat sailors.
davidcdanna8941

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
If lessons are not readily available in Houston, a road trip for lessons with World Winds at Corpus's Bird Island Basin is HIGHLY advised. This ain't stand-up PWC or skiing; that sail greatly compounds (and improves) the sport even for boat sailors.

Hello again folks! Here's an update to my progress. I took a trip down to Sarasota FL over the Memorial day weekend and picked up some gear and lessons from Tim Brown of H20 sports. He was very knowledgeable and helped me get sailing right away. I bought a big wide board from him that I can just about do square dancing on and not fall in. I sailed all day in light winds, 7-12mph, the 12 was from a gusty thunderstorm brewing in the distance, and never fell over once. I love that big wide board. Here's the link to the ad. This is the board, but I bought a different sail than what is shown in the pic....he had lots of equipment to choose from. https://sarasota.craigslist.org/spo/5539816109.html

Thanks for all the input. I'm probably gonna hold off on the Cat for now. This one will actually fit in my truck bed with camper top closed....the Cat, not so much.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidcdanna8941 wrote:
I took a trip down to Sarasota FL over the Memorial day weekend and picked up some gear and lessons from Tim Brown of H20 sports. He was very knowledgeable and helped me get sailing right away. I bought a big wide board from him that I can just about do square dancing on and not fall in. I sailed all day in light winds

You've already achieved more than many beginners do in their first year.
Your attitude will carry you far in this sport. Many people who ask me how to get into WSing balk and walk away when I tell them they'll need to drive an hour or two away most summer weekends for lessons, equipment, and a good place to learn if they want to make any headway. They expected to just hop into our local swift river and go WSing.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto on the CONGRATS
do you know if it is the AHD ZEN 170, 190 or 230 ??
the "smaller" ones are 80 cm wide and 230 is 90
the 80 cm versions can be used up to 20 mph planing
the larger 90 cm version can be used as a wide freeride and plane earlier
any of these versions was a GREAT choice
ENJOY
davidcdanna8941

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
ditto on the CONGRATS
do you know if it is the AHD ZEN 170, 190 or 230 ??
the "smaller" ones are 80 cm wide and 230 is 90
the 80 cm versions can be used up to 20 mph planing
the larger 90 cm version can be used as a wide freeride and plane earlier
any of these versions was a GREAT choice
ENJOY

It's huge! It's the 90cm wide version. Not sure if I'll ever get 20mph out of it but she does plod along fairly well with the 7.5 and 6.5 that I had rigged out....

I kept switching between the two for when the winds would lighten up I'd go 7.5 and when they'd pick up a bit again I'd run over to the shore and grab the 6.5 sail that was pre-rigged. That big board tends to want a big sail.

I just had slight issues getting the board to turn down wind when I'd try to jibe and make my turn arounds. It turns upwind when you tilt the rig aft fairly quickly, so I had no problems turning into the wind...but is there a trick to getting her to push the nose leeward other than just tilting the mast and rig forward on the board and trying to sheet in a bit without being blown over? I was thinking mast track position maybe? Maybe adjusting a little more forward on the mast foot? We had it set about middle of the groove. I also had my fwd foot, toes pressed against the mast foot while underway. I was thinking maybe I needed to be a little more forward on the board when trying to turn down wind also. I was mostly making 90 degree runs back and forth and when I'd get enough momentum I could get some pretty good upwind-tracks at about 65 degrees gaining decent ground.

Let me know what y'all think. I'm anxious to ride again next weekend, and try some down wind runs with speed.
davidcdanna8941

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: oh I found this Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgpYr-6830I
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on whether you have the center dagger fin in or not.
With the center fin in, the turn weighting is going to be opposite and abrupt
from the way it is without the dagger fin. i.e. without fin the board (even in
displacement mode) will turn down wind with pressure on the leeward rail,
and mast held forward, but with the dagger fin in, the board will turn
abruptly upwind if you weight leeward rail. Sail handling will always be
mast held forward down wind (jibe), mast held back, up wind (tack).

So you can see that if you have the center fin in, you might be fighting
the turning geometry on a jibe. Doesn't have to be that way though.

Mast forward and windward rail pressure will get a jibe done with the center
fin in. Mast forward and leeward rail pressure will get the jibe done (much
more easily) with the center fin out.

Good luck,

-Craig

davidcdanna8941 wrote:

I just had slight issues getting the board to turn down wind when I'd try to jibe and make my turn arounds. It turns upwind when you tilt the rig aft fairly quickly, so I had no problems turning into the wind...but is there a trick to getting her to push the nose leeward other than just tilting the mast and rig forward on the board and trying to sheet in a bit without being blown over? I was thinking mast track position maybe? Maybe adjusting a little more forward on the mast foot? We had it set about middle of the groove. I also had my fwd foot, toes pressed against the mast foot while underway. I was thinking maybe I needed to be a little more forward on the board when trying to turn down wind also. I was mostly making 90 degree runs back and forth and when I'd get enough momentum I could get some pretty good upwind-tracks at about 65 degrees gaining decent ground.

Let me know what y'all think. I'm anxious to ride again next weekend, and try some down wind runs with speed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: