myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looks like foil's are here
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DW

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a local expert kite foiler, take my Horue for a ride with his 8m kite. He said the foil is very stable and nice.
DW

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update for all the Horue riders. I bought their Cruising wing for my wife. It feels like it has practically zero lift compared to my LW wing. I'm getting my wife the LW wing to replace it. We have two Horue foils BTW.
carlos72

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Waterstarts Reply with quote

About to order the Horue Combo Tiny & Vini package, with the 85 litre board & 2016 Lightwind front wing. Quite expensive with the Euro so strong. I'm about 70kg and sailing will generally be in in the sea in choppy 8 to 15 knot winds, with gusts, so hoping this combination will be about right (any comments appreciated). Just interested, as I don't see any discussion on the subject - how do you water start in light winds The Horue boards for example are very popular, but they seem too small to up-haul. They are only 85 to 95 litres. Aren't up-haul capable boards about double that volume?
mark

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Horue website states they offer 4 board sizes, 85, 95, 110 and 120 liters. One of the posters in this thread said he bought the 120 liter size.
bmoore98

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 160 lbs +/- 3 lbs. I bought the Tiny 120 with the extreme light wind wing. That wing was giving me too much lift so I ordered the light wind wing which is working beautifully for me now. It is very easy to uphaul. My friend who is about 165 ish just received a Tiny 95 with light wind wing. He can uphaul it but it does sink about one inch and he is a very skilled sailor. I think the 85 May be tough to uphaul. You will get good at light wind water starts but you still need to be able to uphaul.
Be prepared for a two month lead time on the hydrofoil. The board will arrive much quicker as it comes from the Flikka factory. This is the best quality board I've ever bought. Anyone considering a new board purchase should check out the Flikka website.
bmoore98

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do recommend the dual purpose board. That would be the Tiny and not the Tiny Pro Model. The reason is its like getting two boards for the price of one which will help take the sting out of the price tag. I've had some very good windsurf sessions with sails around the seven meter size and then turned around and foiled it the same day when the wind dropped down. I am very happy with this purchase and with my foiling experience so far.
jlooby

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info bmoore.

I would love to know the riding characteristics of the Tiny 120 board you got - it looks like more of a slalom board vs freemove/fws etc.. Could you give us a description of of its 'normal' windsurfing characteristics (planing threshold, jibing, speed, control etc...)
and
(I'm sure you are asked this all the time) - what it is the low wind threshold for the xlw wing with say your 7m sail?

My thoughts are the Tiny 110 + foil + sail should cover someone from 6kts? to 25 knots? (foiling from 6-15, normal planing from 15-25)

Thanks
Joe
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, we've been having a ton of fun out here in Hatteras this summer with a few different foil setups. I'm for sure no expert but I would be happy to provide some insight based on my experiences so far-

All of the boards that we've used have been in the 110-120 liter range. They are quite stable when uphauling, because you have a giant daggerboard hanging down beneath the board. The foils provide a bit of volume as well- The AHD AFS-1 has noticeable float, probably about 10 liters. It's enough that the board will hang out on it's side for awhile before settling down right side up when you stick it in the water. We've also been using the LP foil, which is much thinner and has noticeably less volume. It doesn't add as much float, but it does still add stability. So long story short, you'll probably be comfortable uphauling a slightly smaller board than you're used to. 85 liters is probably pushing it, though, and you might be sacrificing some of the early planing that we're looking to get out of the foils... which leads me to a second thought:

Some of the foils need to be going pretty fast to hook up with the water flow and start flying. Others generate crazy lift with just the tiniest bit of forward speed. So depending on your situation, you will want to choose your foil, and also the sail and board that you match it up with. The sail and board can compensate for the varying amounts of foil lift to a certain point. So if you get a smaller foil but want to go out in really light wind, you'll have to compensate by using a super early planing, sharp railed board with a pretty big sail. If you get a larger foil you'll be able to use smaller sails and the board size and shape won't matter so much in that same light wind.

Lully, light winds? Go for a big powerful foil. Stronger, steadier winds? Go for something smaller and more slippery feeling. Account for your weight and sailing efficiency when making this choice.

Regarding sails, we've had equal luck using largish cambered sails and small super light and powerful freestyle sails. The largish non cambered freeride sails have not worked as well for us, since they don't really take much shape unless they're in decent wind. I have a feeling that a super light 6.0 dacron beginner sail with 1.5 battens would probably work better than anything in light winds!

Here are the setups that we're using:

LP foils: Made in USA, with a quick turn around time! Tuttle or deep tuttle box is available. They have a cool flange at the base of the fin that disperses the load across the bottom of the board. We've been using a 116 liter Tabou slalom board. It works awesome and is super fast and smooth. Needs decent sail power to keep going (nowhere near the power of normal sailing, but more than the AHD requires). LP is introducing an SUP wing soon (interchangeable with the other LP front wings) which will have ultra light wind windsurfing crossover appeal. They also have easy to use shims for the back wing to change the angle of attack and add or subtract lift depending on the conditions. Pretty slick!

AHD Foil: Designed in France, super fast shipping via DHL air freight and generally readily available. Very slick design- super refined, very smooth and just beautiful lines. You can take the wings off in a minute or two without any tools, so it's great for storage and transport. The AHD uses a proprietary fin box that kind of looks like a giant oversized powerbox with two screws. You can buy the fin box separately and install it on your own board, or you can choose from their two board models that are specifically designed for foiling. One is a WindSUP that you can ride with normal fins or a foil, powered by a paddle or a sail, in surf or flat water. The other is an ultra light (4 knot winds with an experienced light weight rider) to high wind (mid 20 knots?) slalom sailing machine that is really only designed for use with the foil. The AHD foil has an absurd amount of lift and wants to fly you up with just the tiniest bit of forward motion. It is awesome and unstoppable on a light wind day!! We've also used it in the low 20s with the windSUP and it was doable but getting a bit hairy. We'll have the slalom board soon and I think that it will be much easier to control in high winds.

Go Foil from Starboard/Alex Aguera: This should be arriving any day now. Like the AHD, it has crossover appeal with SUP and windsurfing so I imagine it will be pretty lifty at low speeds and will get you flying in very little wind. The GoFoil uses a deep tuttle box. Review coming soon, can't wait to check them out in person!

Anyway, if anyone has any questions or wants to chat technique or has tuning questions, feel free to hit us up- we're happy to help! And feel free to check out equipment options and pricing here: http://shop.wind-nc.com/collections/windsurf-and-sup-foils

Sealion-foil.jpg
 Description:
Flying the AHD AFS-1 in 10-15 mph wind with a 5.2 freestyle sail!
 Filesize:  96.51 KB
 Viewed:  19504 Time(s)

Sealion-foil.jpg

http://wind-nc.com
jlooby

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up Andy - thanks for sharing!
Joe
bmoore98

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tiny 120 is only 215 cm long and although it is most like a slalom board the first thing I noticed on my first windsurf session was how quickly and easily it turns. It is 77.5 cm wide close to the front and 57 cm wide one foot off the tail. It is supplied with a Select S1 Slalom XL 43 fin. It planes up early, jibes well and is easy to control. The bottom has a very slight double concave but it is nothing like the old Hypersonics. It is not as fast as a real slalom board but still fast and fun. Last week I was windsurfing it with a 7 meter in 20 mph wind on the lake. Two of my sailing buddies were on slalom boards with 7.5 sails and they were able to overtake me but they outrun me most days anyway.

For me I need a minimum of 9 mph of wind with 7.0 and maybe a little less with a 7.5. I haven't tried anything larger. Its lake wind so at 9 mph its quite variable. Maybe with a steady wind i could go with less wind speed.

Joe, your wind numbers sound reasonable to me except I'm not sure about the 6 kts threshold, maybe someone else can comment. My sweet spot for foiling is 12 to 15 mph but I will go out in 9 to 20. Last week I was foiling with a 6.0 in 20 mph and it was a good session but I'm still not comfortable with that
because it was really going fast and I still don't have a great deal of confidence. I should have gone back to conventional windsurfing when the wind picked back up to 20.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: