myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Learning to windsurf on shortboard
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
natbprice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Learning to windsurf on shortboard Reply with quote

I recently bought some old windsurfing equipment on craigslist. I got a BIC Astro Rock board, Tiga 268SLR board, 5 sails, 2 booms, 5 fins, a two piece carbon fiber mast, and a DA Kine seat harness. I had never windsurfed before when I bought this stuff. I have tried about 5 times now to take out the BIC Astro Rock board and 5 m^2 sail but can't seem to get started. I have experience surfing and sailing so I thought I should be able to learn windsurfing. I watched a few videos on youtube about how to windsurf. I have been starting with my back to the wind and then uphauling the sail but I always loose my balance before I am able to get moving. I am wondering if I am too far forward on the board. I place one foot in front of the mast when I uphaul the sail. I don't seem to have any control from this position once I get the sail up. Do I need to quickly step back on the board as I sheet in? What exactly should I try to do to get going from the uphaul position? I have also played around a little with trying to beach start. At least with the beach start I can feel the board wanting to sail and I think I am in a better position on the board when I jump on. However, the beach start seems more advanced than the uphaul method so I am not sure I should be trying to learn that way. Based on the little bit I have read, I guess the BIC Astro Rock is considered a "shortboard." It doesn't have any dagger fin. Do you think it will be possible for me to learn on this board? I weigh about 155 lbs so it floats me enough to uphaul the sail. I think it would be a good beginner shortboard for me if I had some prior experience. However, it feels very unstable. Do I need a beginner board to learn or should I theoretically be able to learn on this board? I only paid $300 for all this stuff (I hope that was a good deal). I don't really want to spend more money to get a beginner board or a long board. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look up beginning windsurfing. you may find 2 different strategies. one recommends a long board, another a much shorter yet wider board. either choice comes with a dagger board. lessons may be worth doing
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bigger board with a daggerboard, plus professional lessons, will accelerate your learning curve literally by YEARS, for many reasons. That's worth thousands of dollars IMO, but will cost you only hundreds. Such a deal.

Mike \m/
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxx

Last edited by joethewindsufa on Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
hanrahje

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you located? There was a very similar package for sale on Craigslist near Burlington, VT. If you are in the area, WND&WVS offers lessons.
natbprice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everybody!

I realize that ideally I would get a beginner board and some lessons. However, my goal is to just have some fun and try to make do with what I have.

I am in northeast Florida. I never see windsurfers in my area. I went to the local rental place that used to rent windsurfers. The person working there was not very helpful.

I have read what I can find online and have watched videos. However, most of the beginner information assumes you have a beginner board.

I am mostly just looking for any tips or links that will help get me up and moving. I guess experienced people uphaul on much smaller boards so it should theoretically be possible for me to do it because the board has enough volume to float me. Would you advise that I keep working on the uphauling instead of a beach start? Should I try a smaller sail? Is there anything I can do with positioning the mast more forward or backward in the track that would help the balance? Is there a point of sail that I should be aiming for to make it a little easier on me starting out? Am I just wasting my time trying to learn on this board?

I guess my my main question is whether I am missing any information that is specific to uphauling on a short board that may make the difference in me getting sailing or if it basically the same procedure as on a bigger board?
natbprice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Mistral New Malibu for sale on local craigslist for $150. Has a dagger fin and base fin. Doesn't come with anything but I assume my equipment might work with it. Should I just buy that? Is that what I need to get sailing or will it not make that much of a difference?
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can learn within 5 sailing days, if you can surf decently on a shortboard.
I weighed 140 when I first started, first day, Rocket 99, easily uphauled and sheeted in, fell back in no wind, was launched in gusts of 27, and managed to sail no farther than 30 feet in either direction. Hopeless. 75 uphauls, managed to get blown 200 feet downwind in a lake, winds 2-27 mph.
OK, what I learned. 1. When you uphaul, DO NOT SHEET IN the sail quickly. Instead, pull the backhand in half way, or 45 degrees to your board, and ALLOW the board to start moving forwards, feet straddlling the mast base, mast base BACK on the Astro Rock, which is 130 liters and 61 cm wide, PLENTY wide for a surfer to learn on. You have to balance your feet and body on the board, and NOT pull the sail in all the way.
Do that, you can sail the Astro Dock.
Sail slow, sail sheeted out, not pulled back, and you can do it.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, a surfer can surf on a 5'8" surfboard, no problem.
Any NINE foot 6" long, 24" wide sailboard is a floating dock compared to a surfboard.
A surfer learns to surf by doing it, no lessons, no help, no encouragement from peers. Heck, your peers DON'T want you to succeed, or you'll be taking THEIR waves soon enough.
Windsurfing is the opposite. Everyone is friendly, somewhat anyways, and will not hesitate to answer any questions you might have.
A boat sailing background is nice, so you don't sheet in your sail atop the tail of your board.
Surfing gives you balance, mental toughness, grit, and determination. All good for getting you to ride that Astro Rock within a week.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, don't worry that I was 15 lbs lighter than you. I needed a 4/3 wetsuit and booties, which weigh close to 10 lbs when wet. Water temps 58, air temps 60, most days I windsurf.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: