myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
how to tighten/lock a carbon boom?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: how to tighten/lock a carbon boom? Reply with quote

I bought a used carbon boom and I'll tighten the knobs but it still unlocks under a lot of tension when I'm out on the water. Is there a trick to it?
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booms of different manufacturer's use DIFFERENT locking systems.
What company boom?
If it's a Fiberspar, you can use electrical tape to go over the locking fingers in one layer, then just tighten down at it won't slip.
Or buy the Fiberspar locking system kit.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Tighten the knobs"

What's that supposed to mean? What brand of boom did you buy?

Most booms these days have clips that pop in or out to adjust the length of the extension. The clips have integral stainless steel male components that snap into the holes drilled in extension arms.

Years ago, some brands, like Neil Pryde, had twisting plastic pieces that would interlock to set the extension length. Over time the the interlocking components would wear out requiring replacement. If you have that type, it might be difficult to find the replacement parts today.
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a Neil Pryde so maybe it's worn. My Fiberspar boom has the same setup too but I haven't used it yet.

Here's a picture:

I didn't pay much for the booms so maybe I'll try to come up with a hack to help get it to stay
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through the same frustration after buying a used carbon boom.

I ultimately just went back to a new aluminum boom as I've never had a locking problem with them, they're reasonably priced and even when the carbon boom was working, I just didn't feel that big a difference.

The older I get in this sport, the less inclined I am to risk a good session on unreliable gear. I HATE spending money on this stuff, but the last thing I need after a 3 week no wind hiatus is to have something go wrong and wreck the session.

DC
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Fiberspar, made for Neil Pryde.
Just slide the top tightener off, and you see fingers that lock onto the grooves. Using electrical tape, wrap one layer over the fingers, so when you tighten the outer turning knob, it squeezes on the tape, which adds extra pressure to the fingers locking into the groove.
Or buy the Fiberspar adjust collar kit.
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
It's a Fiberspar, made for Neil Pryde.
Just slide the top tightener off, and you see fingers that lock onto the grooves. Using electrical tape, wrap one layer over the fingers, so when you tighten the outer turning knob, it squeezes on the tape, which adds extra pressure to the fingers locking into the groove.
Or buy the Fiberspar adjust collar kit.

Perfect, thanks!

dcharlton wrote:
the less inclined I am to risk a good session on unreliable gear. I HATE spending money on this stuff, but the last thing I need after a 3 week no wind hiatus is to have something go wrong and wreck the session.

I hear ya. I'm just getting into it, but hating even just wasting time adjusting things. I'm trying to keep the cost down until I get a better feel for everything but will get at least half decent gear when I know what will be best for the long haul.
ctuna

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Those fiberspar twist locks always wear out. Reply with quote

Those fiberspar twist locks always wear out.
You can buy the kit and replace them but it will happen
again . That is one of the reasons I stopped buying them.
They used to be the best carbon boom on the market when
carbon booms were a new thing.
The kit used to be something like 25 to 35 bucks.
Usually the will last a season about 60 to 90 sessions.
spennie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're very careful when adjusting/locking the boom the locks will be fine. As soon as it slips, like you say yours did, it's time to replace the locks. I found them in 30 seconds: http://www.windpowerwindsurfing.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5357
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fiberspar Twist-loc collars are specifically designed to accommodate normal wear from friction and sand, etc. What many seem not to understand is that the Twist-loc collars should be tightened only enough to prevent the boom from slipping when pulled by one hand. The fingers on the portion of the Posi-loc fit snugly into the grooves of the back end extension tubes. Adding more tension in with the collar does not achieve more bite on the rear end than just enough tension.

Note that the Twist-loc collars included indexed steps within the slot. The steps exist to accommodate normal wear of the collars. If the boom slips on the lowest step, move to the next step. Cranking on the Twist-loc collars only wears out the higher steps without adding any greater grip to the fingers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: