myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Chesapeake 9/5 - What Happended?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
us85

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2000 4:12 pm    Post subject: Chesapeake 9/5 - What Happended? Reply with quote

The forecast as of this morning said the Chesapeak would be at least 20 out of the NE all day, but its hardly even breezy. How come the winds never got north of Point Lookout or west of DelMarVa? I deftly rescheduled two appointments, so I could get an afternoon session in.

This is not a complaint. I am simply interested in why the forecasted winds never materialized on the northern bay.
hamblett

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2000 5:35 pm    Post subject: RE: Chesapeake 9/5 - What Happended? Reply with quote

I sympathise with you! I was hoping to get on either the Potomac or the Chesapeake this afternoon and it was barely 10-15mph since noonish!

Looks like we might need to head South for decent winds tomorrow. Iwindsurf.com is still calling for 20+ on Wednesday but I bet the best time will be in the morning (Similar to today). Im just hoping that I can get out of the office!

Where are you looking to sail?
hamblett

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2000 5:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Chesapeake 9/5 - What Happended? Reply with quote

Took a look at the marine forecast for Thomas Point Light and theyre only forecasting 15kts (NE) for the bay and less than that for the Potomac. Definately a discrepancy.
mikemcd

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2000 8:17 pm    Post subject: RE: Chesapeake 9/5 - What Happended? Reply with quote

Northerly winds on the Chesapeake are always a challenge. What looks like a sure bet can easily be hampered by local effects. 9/5 winds were simply not cold enough and as cloud cover kept the surface from sufficiently heating, the winds lifted off the surface after they crossed the Atlantic coast. Notice that there were good winds in the north early, but when the surface gradients died, winds decoupled off the surface. In contrast, the southern Chesapeake being closer to the southern front kept most of the surface winds through the day. Tomorrow, we have a very similar setup with the High retreating a bit over the night time. Notice how Sandy Pt. is already responding with stronger winds late this evening. Expect a similar early morning surge through the Chesapeake that should hold longer than today because more sunshine will be able to mix the gusty, cool winds to the surface. Also like today, the surface gradients will die through the day in the north so expect a gradual step down of the gusty NE winds. Best winds will hold most of the day in the south.

Or... go to the Delmarva which looks good all day....Smile

My 2 cents... Have fun!

Matt
tcsi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2000 8:52 pm    Post subject: RE: Chesapeake 9/5 - What Happended? Reply with quote

Wind was up 15-25mph from the north at Leesylvania State Park on the Potomac till 10am+ (9/5) tnen was was up and down 8 to 15kts (N to ENE) till 4pm. If theres more sun Ill try again for a quickie.

<<<Looks like we might need to head South for decent winds tomorrow. Iwindsurf.com is still calling for 20+ on Wednesday but I bet the best time will be in the morning (Similar to today). Im just hoping that I can get out of the office!

Where are you looking to sail?
hamblett

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2000 9:00 pm    Post subject: RE: Chesapeake 9/5 - What Happended? Reply with quote

I will try and get there at 8:ish for a couple hour session. Hopefully itll be 15-25 again. What sail size? 6.0? See you there?
us85

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2000 3:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Chesapeake 9/5 - What Happended? Reply with quote

Thanks! I really appreciate the response. Im learning. Next time my cell phone beeps at 6am saying it is NE-20mph, Ill go in late to work instead of trying to leave early for an afternoon sesh.

Thanks again,
-Warren
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: