myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
85 litre board for the gorge
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windsurfingodie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: 85 litre board for the gorge Reply with quote

I sold most of my equipment four years ago but getting back to sailing the Gorge a lot more and starting to buy some equipment and looking for a used 85 litre board for a 4.7 to 5.5. I have a 2010 69 litre Fanatic Newwave single fin for 4.7 and down. Most newer boards I've seen for sale are quads and seems there are not as many used boards to choose from. What are most guys using and what do you recommend. I've used quads in Maui on a wound up 4.7 so planing was not an issue but for a 5.5 I'm not sure.
rapacz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my 85 L Goya one at the gorge surf shop for sale.
great board, I've moved to a multi-fin board for that size.
check it out
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you checking out the Hood River swap meets? There are 6 of them each summer, and boards in that size range grow on trees. The next two Sundays (June 26th and July 3rd) are examples, where you be able to find a few excellent mid-80L board for anywhere from $20 to $1200, depending on age (I much prefer pre-2008 boards for many reasons I've covered here before). They should cover the range from 4.2 to 5.7 easily, depending on your weight and the wind quality.
brettn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of starting an argument, or perhaps with the intention of starting an argument, I opine that all the new gear is geared for waves, and has too much tail rocker for all but the most heavily wound Gorge days. In February I got on a Lowers head-high wave on a new quad board shaped for designated wave riding. Lowers on better days has good short-board juice. I had an ah ha! moment as to why you would shape a board with a ton of tail rocker like a small surfboard. Nevertheless, those potato chip shapes are slow in sub-smoking conditions. I suspect they lack a big flat spot in back for planing in marginal conditions. Also, when I do a wave turn in the Gorge on my designated wave board, it comes to a dead stop. In Maui the steep breaking wave will juice me back up to speed, but in the Gorge the wave does not have the steepness. Hence a much better board might be something older. I agree with Isobars, the older boards work as well or better than the brand new ones, in the Gorge. The industry is working hard to convince me I'm a loser if I'm not sailing a breaking coast-style wave, but I like my Roosevelt and The Wall, and those places get fun surf in 22-30 wind, which is 85 liters for me. But I want to bomb around and jump as well as wave ride in those conditions, which a heavily rockered board isn't very good at.
philodog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto. Wave boards are made for waves, not swell. Big difference. I much prefer freestyle waves for inland sailing. Never had a JP FSW I didn`t like.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philodog wrote:
Ditto. Wave boards are made for waves, not swell. Big difference. I much prefer freestyle waves for inland sailing.

All 30 of my present WSing boards (OK, only ~15 now; I sold off about 15 last year when it became clear that I could't outlive all of them) were hand-picked via personal testing for my sailing in the Gorge. Virtually every one of the 30 -- ALL of the remaining 15 or so -- is a wave board. I've owned, sailed, and liked FSWs, but they didn't make my cut.

There are different kinds of wave boards and different styles of WSing, so blanket statements are misleading.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 litre board for the gorge Reply with quote

Greetings Odie,

Actually I think the distribution between single, tri, and quad fin boards in the gorge is pretty even, but singles with thrusters have been coming
on strong the last few years. I think I even noticed Art Colyer riding a tri fin recently.

I rode a quad wave board all season in the Gorge 4 years ago, and it wasn't
what I wanted for Gorge riding, but I still see plenty of them (usually under
smaller riders both male and female). I'd never be able to make a quad
work in 5.5 conditions, just too mushy when heavily powered from the tail.

I have a buddy who rides a Newwave in the 85 ltr range, and he rips
maybe you should grab something you are familiar with in a larger size and
do the same.

Good luck,

-Craig

windsurfingodie wrote:
I sold most of my equipment four years ago but getting back to sailing the Gorge a lot more and starting to buy some equipment and looking for a used 85 litre board for a 4.7 to 5.5. I have a 2010 69 litre Fanatic Newwave single fin for 4.7 and down. Most newer boards I've seen for sale are quads and seems there are not as many used boards to choose from. What are most guys using and what do you recommend. I've used quads in Maui on a wound up 4.7 so planing was not an issue but for a 5.5 I'm not sure.
windsurfingodie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any body selling a 85 litre Fanatic NewWave. let me know.
underwood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Angulo Chango's are really nice. The newer ones are more "old school" being a bit longer and narrower with wingers and a single fin. Keeps me going thru the lulls but still handles chop really nice (easy to control) and very "surfable" on the swell. I have an 88ltr and ride it from a 4.7 up to 5.8 easily and even 6.3 a couple of times. Gorge Surf shop has a couple of them on consignment and I think they are reasonably priced.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a good all around board, take a spin on a Tabou 3s 85 liter. A darn smooth ride for a board that big. Straps back fast and fun. Forward gives you control and a wave board feel. The big plus is that it only has one fin to mess with. That and the super tick pads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: