myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Beginner setup advice (was mistral competition)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve3nnXcB5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Beginner setup advice (was mistral competition) Reply with quote

Mistral competition good beginner board? From searching I'm pretty sure its 180 l.

I'm 6'4 205 lbs, just getting started windsurfing. Would this be a good board to get started on? Will I likely break something and not be able to get parts for it?

I have no idea what year it's from it's a very plain white board with a blue and purple stripe at the front and back, it also has ancient looking triangle sails (though they look to be clean and in good shape ).

Also, I think I'll have mostly light wind conditions here in St. Louis, 5-10 mph.

Last edited by steve3nnXcB5 on Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxx

Last edited by joethewindsufa on Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Awalkspoiled

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could hardly do better, IF it’s in usable shape.

Check that the universal slots securely into the board and that the mast is intact, unkinked and sits properly in the mastbase, that the centerboard is operational and not too badly mauled, and that the fin is intact. You’ll probably have to improve the non-skid somehow but there are several ways to do that inexpensively. The little triangle sails are excellent for learning but you’ll want to upgrade them, the mast and boom pretty soon, all of which you can do for under $200 on Craigslist.

I think the volume is closer to 230 - it’s basically a heavier, slightly more durable Superlight - and in light airs with a decent 6.3 soft sail nothing will be much faster or more fun. It’s very slightly more demanding to learn on than modern, ultrawide designs, but literally THOUSANDS of us learned on the Comp or similar boards, and enjoyed them for years afterwards.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Awalkspoiled said.
Plus ... pad the nose perimeter with something such as deck pad material and pad the front end of your boom with a boom bra made for that purpose. ANY unpadded board nose will get crunched by a beginner's mast crashing down on it, and it will save you a lot of grief.

And find lessons and/or online and video instructions. They will also save you a lot of grief.

Mike \m/
steve3nnXcB5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the guidance.

Guess I should have looked harder before I posted, turns out the board is 8 hours from me, not the 3-5 I thought it was. I might see if the owner will meet me halfway after getting some more pictures, just seems a long way to go when I might find the equipment isnt worth it.

Do you think I'd be miserable trying to get started on a 150l board? There's a BIC Rumba much closer to me, cheaper and with newer sails.

If I did get the BIC I figure I would keep looking for a bigger board, I'm just not sure what mast/extension/sails are compatible with which boards. If it's easy to swap stuff this is the direction I'm leaning, but if there is a lot of expense to making boards n rigs compatible this would probably be a bad idea.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve3nnXcB5 wrote:
Do you think I'd be miserable trying to get started on a 150l board?

At 205#in those light breezes ... YES.
Long before you found a bigger board, you'd probably give the sport up as not worth the effort.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a beginner, trying to piece a bunch of workable used stuff together on a shoestring can be a difficult task. While you might do well in certain areas, like getting some good sails, that doesn't mean the board is the best for a beginner, or that all the parts are sound and up for the job. Saving money is not always the best way to come out on top in windsurfing.

What I did was buy new in 1985, and I refinanced my car to do it. It gave me sound start that I could later build on and upgrade as I developed the necessary skills and knowledge. Windsurfing isn't for those without some disposable income. Of course, some might disagree, but after 30 years in the sport, I know the truth.

That said, if someone was offering my exact 1985 F2 Strato kit in like new condition, most would steer you away. Too old and out of style would be the call. Of course, I know different, because it worked for me in 1985, even with the tie-on boom. Well, maybe it would be best to buy a modern clamp-on boom to make things easier and better....
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Steve,

A Rumba is pretty small for you to learn on. It is a pretty stable platform,
(my wife used one as her light wind board for years), and you maybe
could learn on it, but I agree with Mike, at 205Lbs, something in the 200
ltr range is probably a lot more likely to produce quicker results.

-Craig

steve3nnXcB5 wrote:

Do you think I'd be miserable trying to get started on a 150l board? There's a BIC Rumba much closer to me, cheaper and with newer sails.

If I did get the BIC I figure I would keep looking for a bigger board, I'm just not sure what mast/extension/sails are compatible with which boards. If it's easy to swap stuff this is the direction I'm leaning, but if there is a lot of expense to making boards n rigs compatible this would probably be a bad idea.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i deleted my previous entry
no way to delete completely

at over 200 pounds - more like 230+ currently, my main board in light wind is a Mistral Equipe II/2 XR at 258 liters
have had a Mistral Equipe I/one at 220 liters that I liked VERY much
also had a Fanatic Ultra CAT, but did NOT like mast base
the Mistral Competition that I had previously was sold to Francone Ittiandro
he felt it was "tippy" and difficult to jibe/tack
now purchased a BIC WindSUP 11'6
having issues with fins and bigger sails
here is my review of the Mistral COMP:
http://joewindsurfer.blogspot.ca/2015/03/mistral-competition-sst.html

i agree it MUST be a longboard with at least 200 liters
started with a 7-oh sail, but that all depends on strength, balance and determination

if going with new - K1/Kona One or Exocet WindSUP seem to be the GO
under the conditions and weight described
(new longboards like SB Phantoms are just too much money)

personally my wind minimum is 12 mph ~ 20 kph
use the Equipe II/2 and a HotSailsMaui SpeedFreak 8.5
have used this combo up to 20 mph - like today

wish you lots o' luck (and determination)
and patience , patience and more ...
just today a fellow posted on my blog
heavyweight looking for a great longboard like the Mistral Equipe II for the last 5 years !!

Last edited by joethewindsufa on Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the video, it seems that you're still shying away from those footstraps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: