myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Spots in NC bayside to launch near Carolla?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derikthin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Spots in NC bayside to launch near Carolla? Reply with quote

For the past 3 years my family has rented a house in NC in the last week in August and this year, being my first windsurfing, I'm thinking of bringing my longboard and hoping maybe a little wind will blow.

I was wondering if if anyone knows of some good launch spots open to the public. We're going to be staying on whale head drive in Carolla and driving anywhere out there in the summer is my worst nightmare haha.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. From what I understand it's basically the crappiest month for wind so I could basically be wasting the packing space.
Derikthin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

817 Whalehead Dr is where we'll be staying this year I think.

At the end of this "Cruz bay Lane" there seems to be a possible launching point. At least when I look on google satellite it seems that way.
btbill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundside launches in Corolla are likely difficult to find unless in a "neighborhood" community, or if you are renting a soundfront house with dock or bulkhead steps/launch. I know of a spot up there where I launched a SUP for soundside paddling, and only thing I remember is that the street has a number of flags lining it and is about 4 mi south of the road end.

The alternative is ocean side, and in August is actually can be quite fun in Corolla! The beaches there are very flat/wide thus minimal to no shore break. August is primarily N/NE light wind, thus it will be side to side onshore. If no tropical swell in the water, the ocean is near lake like. Not best for pretty wave sailing, but if its basically only chop, it can be fun, plus often the water is so clear up there the scenery under the board is quite stunning with schooling fish and dolphin. Basically any beach access, you can haul the gear out.

all in all, it can work up there and be quite fun! I had a blast up there last summer in mid-Sept with a Sealion and large 10+ft SUP and paddle!
rthomas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took 2 family trips to Corolla (2011, 2012) and managed to do some decent sound-side sailing in Whale Head Bay. It gets pretty shallow there at low tide, but with a medium-size weed fin, I didn't have any issues.
The first trip I used a public boat launch with a nice grassy area for rigging which is located just south of the Lighthouse. Look for the "Whalehead in Historic Corolla" a small museum, which is off of Club Road, very close to the Corolla Cantina Bar and Grill. The boat launch is right next to the museum.

The second trip we rented a house on Austin St (same area), and launched right from the back yard!
JimKingSssp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: CAROLLA IN AUGUST Reply with quote

DON'T WORRY ABOUT HAVING FUN. IT WILL NOT REALLY MATTER IF YOU SAIL BECAUSE THERE WILL BE SO MANY WONDERFUL THINGS FOR YOU AS\ND FAMILY ESPECIALLY IF YOU MAKE THE SHORT 30 MINUTE DRIVE SOUTH TO HATTERAS ISLAND. KEEP GOING PAST AVON AND DISCOVER THE REAL HATTERAS …IT IS WORTH IT…..PS YOU MIGHT EVEN GET A NICE SUMMER THERMAL TO ENJOY SAILING!
Derikthin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna bring the long board and hope for the best. We usually have a blast no matter what's going on. This is our third year going down there and it's has been a great week each time. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself.

The ONLY complaint I have about OBX is the traffic. We usually limit ourselves to bicycle trips and like 5-8 mile driving trips (usually to get a bushell of crabs =) ) because the summer traffic is insane.

I'll report after the vacation of my experience.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good launch at Windmill Pt in Nags Head, can't help you with the traffic though. Early start maybe.....
mschecht

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there a couple of years ago and one of the places that rents jetskis was run by a really nice guy who let me launch from his place, which had a nice grassy spot to rig, a bathroom, and easy parking. He was very accommodating. This is in contrast to a place right next to him where the owner was not so nice, said he would only let me launch if I rented something from him. In the end, my family did rent a few jetskis from the first guy, so it worked out pretty well for us all. If I remember right, these places were in Duck, not Corolla.
wsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I sailed there quite a few times and had some really good sessions. The people who ran it were really cool so I treated them for lunch at a take-away for their fav fish tacos. Just over the hill coming out of Duck towards Corolla. Worth the ride down from Corolla as I lauched up there as well but didn't get the same experience coming in an out of launch and condistions were better further south. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: