myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Matunuck Summer Sailing and Parking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimc12

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Matunuck Summer Sailing and Parking Reply with quote

Just asking what the parking situation is at Matunuck and maybe other options close by during the next two months. Have only sailed RI in fall and if the forecasts comes together it may save me an extra hour or so of driving this weekend.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matunuck winds generally shut down in the summer. In Rhode Island, your best shot at wind in the summer is the bay. Try and time the tide to give you a few extra knots of planning power.

This summer, Conimicut Point has been really good, free parking, grass rigging. Usually turns on in the afternoon.

URI Bay Campus is another place that can sometimes work. Again, the tides need to be working against the wind.

I've had mixed results at Fogland but hear can it can be good as well.

Matunuck is great for surfing/SUPing in the summer months. I haven't had much luck windsurfing in the summer but fall and spring and winter are a good time!

DC
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if there is a parking fee at Matunuck?
montignp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the water quality in upper 'Gansett bay these days? I live 500 feet from the water between Conimicut and Rocky Point, would be awesome if I could just drop the board in after work and sail. Never tried it though, have been told not to go in the water by folks who have been in the area for a long time.
Shanenest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
Anyone know if there is a parking fee at Matunuck?

There is free parking at Deep Hole.
braden

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often sail at Sabin Point, up the bay from Conimicut. I did get pneumonia once after sailing, that was 10 years ago.
The main problem with the upper bay is what is delicately called "combined systems overflow." Storm drains merge with sewer system, so with heavy rain, untreated sewage can overflow into the bay instead of going to the treatment plant. This has been mitigated in part by construction of a large water storage tunnel under Providence. Consider not sailing after heavy rain, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: