myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Diary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndreiA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing Diary Reply with quote

There was a discussion in a Russian forum about the number of sails a windsurfer would normally need. Realistically, on any given spot there are two (rarely three) 'favorite' sails. To prove the point came the idea - a Windsurfing Diary
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1yNzzsJnupv0I9UwaWDLIQ_q_0FsjIclfVX6vFbRsgvQ/viewform

Everyone is welcome to submit his/her session using the above link.

You can review all results, filter, sort, etc. using another link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bUdsi8CDf8CniWapq4HE6ZpkXnI4f_I9ImX2PTW3nLw/edit?usp=sharing

Both links are published in my web site www.na-windsurfing.com
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 8.5, a 7.5 and a 6.5. I need a 5.7 to complete my quiver for the conditions that I like to sail.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number of sails one would normally need depends on a significant number of variables, for which there is no standard.

For me, I have 10 sails from 4.0 to 11.0, sailing in conditions from 8 to 30 knots. Most commonly, I am on 6 to 7 meter sails, but I will go out in any condition where I can plane (formula board for my 11.0 and 9.2), (slalom board for intermediate sails), (bump and jump boards for the smaller sails).

The correct number of sails for any one individual will be quite varied.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As equipment improved over the years you need less of it. Sail tuning allows us a much wider gap between sail sizes. My local spot requires two sails and mostly one board but I carry a second board just incase. My big sail is a Ezzy Cheetah 6.5 My everyday sail is the Cheetah 5.5. Both sails rig on a 430 mast and the same boom. I do need two extensions. The new wide freeride boards allow me to get way more lite wind sailing on a smaller sail. 6.5 is as large as I need to go these days. Also these sails have a huge range of tuning. Low end is incredible with stability and control at the high end. When I travel, I bring 6.5, 5.5, 4.7 and a 4.2. Magic Ride 104 for the flat lite wind days. My all around favorite board is the 3s 96. It gets the most time on the water anywhere I go. It can do the 6.5 all the way down to 4.2 depending on wind and water conditions. Even ride mid size waves. I also bring a 3s 86 for the solid 4.7 and 4.2 I'm 66 years old about 170 lb. and have been windsurfing for 36 years. I can say without question that todays gear is expensive but worth every cent...
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

made an entry to see how it goes ...
i do something similar for myself ...
however, i like to know which board - not just litres
once boards were rated by length, then litres and now width
also like to know which sail - some of my sails are cambered
and i leave a column for free-form entry - like winds were SW 20-40 kph
NOT a criticism - just some ideas
keep it up Smile
(and i actually rate my sessions out of 10 )
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There can never be enough gear in your car for the day you're windsurfing.
Every day you go out, you can find periods of underpowered, periods of overpowered, periods of smooth water, periods of choppy waters, and the IDEAL gear is NOT the one you're riding at the moment.
And winds change, as do tides and sea state, which requires different gear if you're tuned in to your windsurfing.
If you're not, just ride a stock windsurfer and 5 meter sail, one board, one sail, do it all...or do nothing.
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD nailed it.
Even though I have gotten by in the past with only a 3.7 and 4.3 for years here in Maui with two boards, I have never heard anyone say "I wish I didn't have all my gear with me "
I often hear instead
"#%}*^ I wish I had brought my other ....."
AndreiA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys, I know more sails is better.

But my point was, 80-90% of time we would use one board and two sails on a specific spot. Or two boards and three sails if you add light wind exercises. Understood I may be wrong about that, so created this online diary. Then I realized the diary could be useful outside of the number of sails argument.

For myself - to keep track of some things. If enough people keep using the diary, it would be a new way to learn about specific windsurfing spot. Why not?

And, I added a free-text Comment field - use it for anything you want to remember or share with others.
konajoe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The life of one design sailors (RS:X, Kona One) is so boring......same sail, fin, and board every session.
AndreiA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
The life of one design sailors (RS:X, Kona One) is so boring......same sail, fin, and board every session.

If you entered a dozen sessions in this diary, everyone would understand the non-boring side you are trying to promote Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: