myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Incident at the Hatchery on Thursday, July 14th
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WMP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Ya never can tell.

In this case, I've got gear that is so old ('92 Northwave Trilite) and a very fragile Open Ocean that I need to repair if the nose even touches a rock at the launch. Honestly, there's not even a scratch or a mark anywhere to be found on any of my gear.

Last edited by WMP on Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
wmike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Incident at the Hatchery on Thursday, July 14th Reply with quote

WMP wrote:

Sorry about the "crease in the nose".

I find it very mysterious that my board experienced no damage at all, neither did my sail nor boom nor mast.

You thruster or fin could easily cause a "crease in the nose" with no apparent damage to your thruster or fin. Think about it.
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMP
Quote:
...no way I caused damage to the nose of this board. Game is over.... I call this a bluff, unless there's additional evidence or testimony to be presented here.

WMP I agree with isobars. You have a reputation as a good guy. So I suggest you think about the extraordinary tensile strength and impact resistance of a fiberglass fin versus the fragile skin and foam of a board.

I have seen fins cut deep into a board with not a trace of damage to the fin. So given the high velocity of this collision it is amazing that so little damage was done.

I witnessed the whole event from 10 seconds before the collision to the point where Terry and her husband found the damage to her board on land.

I think we should all be glad it was only foam not flesh that was torn. So settle this the right way.

Mike Godsey
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fin can cleanly cleave a thick-walled reduced-diameter mast without leaving a mark on the fin, and I've seen one board seller deny responsibility for in-transit damage when even its heavy-duty bag was clearly damaged in exactly the same spot, manner, and direction (from aft, no less). Some people can't accept responsibility for their actions even with corroboration.

That collision in which I skewered Tin's board was 90% his fault -- he refuses to wear glasses despite being legally blind; he once rammed the state of Washington because he couldn't see it -- but I still paid for his repair because he was on starboard and I had just jibed onto port 20 feet short of the Oregon shoreline. He said he had seen neither me nor the approaching shoreline.

This raises one simple question for me: Did Terry contribute fault to this collision, or was it a direct result solely of Pete dive-bombing into a crowd unwilling to crash or slash to avoid a collision? Gorge sailors should expect and allow room for other sailors to rip 90-degree slashes off lips, but 10-second strafing runs are harder to anticipate and evade. (Hurricane sailmaker Doug Van Zandt used to say he needed a Baby-on-Board-type sign on his back that reads "CAUTION: Rider makes sudden downwind cuts without warning.")
WMP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

This raises one simple question for me: Did Terry contribute fault to this collision, or was it a direct result solely of Pete dive-bombing into a crowd unwilling to crash or slash to avoid a collision?

I don't think anyone was "at fault" here. No, we have two very experienced Hatch sailors. What we also have is a very large crowd (bench warmers) on shore watching this event. Why so many sailors watching? Well, wind conditions were messy, shifty, gusty, up & down... more than "normal". We also have a combination of circumstances that caused this incident. My old 4.7 single cam trilite sail was rigged for the lulls, which means in the gusts it will really power up (engage) to unbelievable speeds and will not release from the gusts. Decision making happens very fast. There's also the issue of not being able to see around the sail and when things (people) line up just right during a direction correction, there's no way to see around that blind spot, especially with someone who is going the same direction.

We can be very thankful that there were no injuries here. I can only share with you what happened on my side and from my vantage point. Honestly, I was very relaxed, happy, and enjoying life on the water. Hatch wind conditions were wild with plenty of chop at this particular location. I didn't make any major turns or jibes, and I certainly wasn't "dive-bombing into a crowd". I was simply going very fast (not out-of-control) because the wind had picked up so very strong.

There's no pics of this damage. Sad that this has been turned into such a huge event on this forum. It really should have been handled in a different way and not posted here on this forum, especially not in a way that is so negative with false accusations. I'm sure Terry is a very good sailor especially since she's been sailing here for more than 20 years, I do not fault her at all.

Peace and gladness.

I have made this matter very simple and I have sent her a check for $75 as she requested. I believe this is reasonable since I was the upwind sailor and I do take full responsibility according to ROW rules.

It's time to move on people..... I'll see ya out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: