myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SPI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: SPI Reply with quote

I'm thinking about SPI in Oct. I have been there in April many times and had a lot of fun. What's it like that time of year....Thanks
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been in Oct 6 times, for the AWIA show in Corpus.
More hit and miss than April, one year we got skunked, one year we got 18 out of 19 days with smaller than 5.2's, and the other year's better than 60% with 5.7 as the biggest we could bring on the plane.
The year we got skunked, 5.0 was the biggest with an 8'4" Haut poly glass slalom, about 75 liters. It was the year after we used the 3.9 the most days, like 12 out of 18 days....naturally. We tended to overreact.
superkraut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might join you! been twice in Oct so far: nice the first year, though with too much water at the North Flats much of the time to negotiate with my city wagon. Last year not only got near-skunked, wind-wise, but totally skunked with a Red Tide - hideous stuff, that! and I understand fairly common in Oct
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikkes!!!!! Miss Eva. Sounds gross. How is the water holding at "YOUR" lake
LeeD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my second year there was a red tide.
We just sailed out at Port Aransas, Carpenter, and a few days at Orleander up North, and sailed mostly in front of the Ritz and across the shipping channel at SPID.
There was some rule about not allowing anyone to windsurf at SPID, but most days, at least 5 windsurfer's were out at the main PI beach, with signs saying to stay out of the water.
Didn't have any problems with the water, and that year we speed ditched it about 6 days.
We really didn't sail the sound much then.
superkraut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Yikkes!!!!! Miss Eva. Sounds gross. How is the water holding at "YOUR" lake

running out about 1 foot every 5 days at the moment. At that rate, we'll be sailing at our current venue into early September, albeit in ever-shorter figure-eights
superkraut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
Yeah, my second year there was a red tide.
We just sailed out at Port Aransas, Carpenter, and a few days at Orleander up North, and sailed mostly in front of the Ritz and across the shipping channel at SPID.
There was some rule about not allowing anyone to windsurf at SPID, but most days, at least 5 windsurfer's were out at the main PI beach, with signs saying to stay out of the water.
Didn't have any problems with the water, and that year we speed ditched it about 6 days.
We really didn't sail the sound much then.

nobody told us where we could or could not go during last October's Red Tide. But for myself, I could not go near the stuff without erupting into coughing fits. Dust masks from the hardware store helped - but falling in wearing one of those would have been - um - "interesting". As well, the dead fish everywhere made the water unappealing!
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the red tide something that happens often or a rare occurrence?????
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like at Ocean Beach San Francisco, it occurs between every 7-12 year's, is cyclical, and long term residences know it, but usually forgot about it.
Something to do with warmer than normal waters, algae growth, bacteria, and dead seaweed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: