myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Affordable Windsurfing Cities on the Gulf & East Coasts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my 2 cents:

I've been a civil engineer in NJ for 30 years and the areas that you are considering in the southeast offer fantastic career opportunities - there is always a strong demand for engineers in that area and a lot of the larger firms have their key offices in the southeast because the cost of living is cheaper than up north. So from an employment and career standpoint - its a real good area.

With that said, there is a lot of sailing options as others have said. Here a nice link with a good summary of the many spots and options. Plus Hatteras is close enough for weekend trips.
http://www.windvisions.com/launches.html

BUT... as Iso has said the traffic and dense population can be maddening depending on where you live particularly the DC area. Expect large crowds virtually everywhere along the east coast throughout the summer - parking/traffic can be a nightmare - anywhere you go - even Hatteras. Expect very limited oceanside beach access for windsurfing during the summer months - but with a little time you'll find options that work - once summer ends you can sail anywhere. Expect very high humidity for weeks on end along with ravenous mosquitos. Ticks are also a huge problem - sometimes you can't even go out in your yard.

Lastly - windsurfing has lost a lot of popularity along the east coast except around Hatteras but there is still small groups scattered about so you may find yourself sailing alone many times. Kiting is still very popular. Best sailing is often throughout the winter so that means 5 mil hooded suits plus all the other stuff - but a lot of people enjoy the sailing/kiting and surfing during the winter.
rhorton1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank for all the info. Norfolk area looks promising.. both for jobs and windsurfing. Found this -

http://www.sailwet.com/index.htm

Looks to be an active group of sailors.

Any info about the coastal Carolinas that isn't on Cape Hatteras? Charleston? Wilmington?

I will explore the Florida idea a bit... looks to be levees and bridges abound around the whole Southeast. I'd consider that good job security for an aspiring civil engineer Smile

And we've thought of moving to Hawaii... but figure its a better place for vacation than for living there because of the aforementioned expense, competition for good jobs, and lack of wages.
JohnnyA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhorton 1

here is my top 10 list you should stay in Portland, and or Oregon area

10) Craft beer month every month with 60 breweries in the area and July being the official craft beer month

9) skiing and snowboarding Mt Hood, and Mt Baker

Cool mountain biking in and around Hood River area

7) some amazing Pinot Noir's from the Willamette Valley Pinot Noir " i am not fing drinking merlot"

6) windsurfing the coast in the summer- Manzanita to Pistol River

5) windsurfing june, july and august at the hatch, dougs beach, and the wall with a quiver of 3.7, 4.2 and 4.7, with 5.3 being a big sail

4) double mtn pizza and drinking there IRAs and Vaporvizer after a 3.7 day at the hatch ( 4/20 is now legal, had to mention) and maybe a scorpion bowl or 2 at Jack's

3) the simple amazing natural beauty the pacific northwest has to offer and there is so much to do out there

2)cheap airfare to Maui and a great community of like minded outdoor sports enthusiasts

1) save yourself the trouble of moving to the east coast getting setup and then realize you miss Oregon and all it has to offer and then have to move back 3-5 years later because there are very few places like Oregon in the US

good luck with your decision , just thought i would throw out a different option to consider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6jUgBs-ZoQ
scargo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you like mountains? Do you like seasons? Do you like winter activities?

As someone who for a long time has been plotting his escape from the east coast, this whole thing has me scratching my head, for the reasons JohnnyA states and many others . . .
davidcdanna8941

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:23 am    Post subject: Galveston Reply with quote

Galveston, Galveston. (where I work, and ride when I'm not busy)

Or Texas City if that's too expensive. We have excellent winds most days that blow right along the texas city dyke and up to the levee. Lots of Kite surfers there due to the exclusive kite boarding shop in texas city. A few older guys like myself are the die-hard windsurfers because we just rather ride than fight tangled kite lines.

I'm actually looking to relocate to Lake Charles currently which has a quaint yacht club right on the lake that I'm a member of. They have a social and sailboat races every wednesday. I rode out there today as a matter of fact....but I'm the only windsurfer currently, everyone else has sailboats.

Good luck on the hunt. You probably won't find a cheaper place to live with decent winds.
paulf.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is Bend, oregon affordable or also corrupted by Cali money coming north?
flaherty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a suggestion ,is if you decide on a place, take a two week vacation there first. You will find out the good and bad, before making a huge commitment.
I think you will find the east coast expensive as well , if you want to live in a decent place near the ocean.
rhorton1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the info! Sounds like I may have a case of "grass is always greener", but I appreciate all the info. Lots of reasearch to be done over the coming months...
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhorton1 wrote:
Lots of reasearch to be done over the coming months...

That's smart. I looked for my retirement location for well over a decade, in person, on the map, on the internet, and by word of mouth. No complaints yet, and if I find something better, I'll just move there.
katiedog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post on what you do .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: