myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
shove it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfalex

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: shove it Reply with quote

I've read and watched just about everything there is to know about shove its.
Still can't figure them out. Is there some sort of exercise or secret tips to learn how to lay the sail horizantally and fill it from behind.
It is awkward to me, I end up tail heavy and more of a chop hop. laying the rig flat/ horizontally feels impossible. What's the secret ??
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "secret" is the unhooked upwind carve into the swell, that takes the board UPwind, while the upper body lags behind, allowing the sail to "lay down" while you push with your back hand to backwind the sail, allowing it to lay horizontal pointing downwind.
Try it first in moderate planing conditions, feet in the straps, UNhook, and immediately carve UPwind into a swell. Your body lags behind your feet, so it's leaning away from the wind, the sail 45 degrees to horizontal, depending on how hard you actually carved upwind with the windward rail.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can practice the motion on a swell without jumping. one tip is not to lay the sail down in the traditional sense... it doesn't go down like a laydown jibe. the sail always has to be flying forward as you get in the air or try to backwind it on a swell. most people will pull the sail back w/ their back hand to get the sail to lay down, but this usually causes the nose to turn off the wind.

think about the sail motion of the boomerang... this is a similar path the sail needs to take during a shove it.

also, the shove it isn't really a jump... it's more of a carve/scoop. i think about it as carving the board out from under my upper body w/ my legs/hips and letting my upper body transfer onto the sail. the pivot point in your body is somewhere near your hips. let everything under that pivot point go upwind and everything on top can fall downwind(ish).

it's a pretty hard move to describe/breakdown, but luckily in the gorge you have great conditions for learning it.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: