myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Old School with the Kona

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Old School with the Kona Reply with quote

http://www.lwsailing.org/events/ddd2016.shtml

Going old school with the Kona today. Hopefully we don't get lost somewhere in the Delta.

Coachg
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. Would love to see a timelapse video of that. Got a gopro?

Looks like you will be sailing from Rio vista to the Sacramento?

Should that be a long broad reach?
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have a GoPro but I didn't use it. Thought about it but too much else going on. Thirty miles and much of it on a dead run. We were the first windsurfers to ever do the race. Andy Brandt won.

Coachg
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Andy....
Did he lose a bunch of weight? Like is he down to 170 lbs. now?
Saw him last Tuesday, winds 14-22, he on a freestyle board planing on a 4.8 or so, me 150 lbs on a 5.6 and 84 liter FSW.
I'm jealous. I have a great 4.5 I want to use, but it's never windy enough. Maybe I need a freestyle board for my 4.5 SuperFreak.
I"m starting to think about using smaller sails with no downhaul, straps forward, and low impact tricks to save my 67 year old battered body.
gerritt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
I"m starting to think about using smaller sails with no downhaul, straps forward, and low impact tricks to save my 67 year old battered body.

Yes indeed. It is the "new school" way to go. I've been using my 94 liter FSW almost exclusively at Third this year. I set the straps forward and in about a year ago and it completely transformed the board for my style of sailing - lots of carving turns and carving 360's, in the straps. I'm now completing tacks about 50% of the time too - up significantly from about 5%. Added liters make everything easier, assuming the board will suck up the chop. Getting your head around pulling out a "too small" sail and setting it up for light wind when everyone else is on a half to full meter bigger takes some adjustment in and of itself. At the end of your session, your body will thank you.

I still favor my 78 in waves, but have been getting into and still tweaking a 92 thruster I picked up over a year ago. Again, getting my head around using 92 liters in waves seems to be the biggest hurdle to overcome. When I do use it, I have a blast and wonder what my hangup is. I do love my 78 though.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy has trimmed down but is still over 98 kilos. If he was under that he couldn't use the 9.0 in the Kona class. Andy's Idol's are very light, very powerful & very twitchy. He is super efficient but trust me, his 4.8 is very powerful compared to other sails.

Coachg
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys, for the less downhaul, smaller sail info.
I HAVE noticed it sailing with Sofien, Asma, and Kevin, but never registered in my mind, since I"m old school and into sailing fast, good turns, and high jumps.
I've delved a little into less downhaul, baggy sails, but do worry about top speeds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: