myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Treating Golfer's elbow with KT tape?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marc5

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the Thera-Band Flexbar. I had tendinitis for months. Ordered both medium and heavy Flexbars. In a few days I was cured. It's all about eccentric exercise. Works the same with achilles issues.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fought tendon -itis's and -opathies for several decades. The best solutions I found were adjusting my harness line locations and length PRECISELY, changing my arm and grip angles to shift stresses to healthier tissues, and learning how to do everything but jibing while hooked into a roller bar. Those steps did and still do more for my tendons than a long line of doctors and PTs and long rests were able to accomplish, and I can still shred (I guess that's what one calls constant maneuvering at full power) in high winds and rough water for eight hours in a day in my early 70s.

Be aware that ice and/or ibuprofen pretty much stop the healing process for at least months, sometimes permanently. They're for masking pain, not curing the problem.

Mike \m/
AndreiA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: So, no windsurfers used Kinesio tape? Reply with quote

Surprisingly no one in this forum mentioned using Kinesio tape to heal tennis or golfer's elbow. Something like that: https://youtu.be/O9lg2YcwApU
Guess I'll be the first to try and report the results Smile
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I've got the tennis elbow problem right now in my right arm, and it has been nagging me for a few months. I can still windsurf without too much difficulty, but it's a pain doing simple things like grabbing a pitcher of water and pouring it. Also, it's often painful sleeping at night. Which color TheraBand FlexBar did you buy?

I bought the red and the green one. I use the red one most of the time, and the green one only when I have no or very little pain. If it hurts too much, you may even want to start with the yellow one.

marc5 wrote:
Another vote for the Thera-Band Flexbar. I had tendinitis for months. Ordered both medium and heavy Flexbars. In a few days I was cured. It's all about eccentric exercise. Works the same with achilles issues.

The original clinical study was cut short because standard PT showed very little improvement, while improvements in the FlexBar group were much better (numbers given were 76% vs. 12% and 81% vs. 22% mean improvement using 2 different measures). Seems that for me and marc5, it worked even faster than in the study.

AndreiA wrote:
Surprisingly no one in this forum mentioned using Kinesio tape to heal tennis or golfer's elbow.

Kinesio tape is marketed for just about any ache and pain, from shoulder pain to low back pain. Their marketing sure is great. Whether it works well is a bit of a different story. You could just read the title of one scientific review:
"Current evidence does not support the use of Kinesio Taping in clinical practice: a systematic review.", or read the entire article that was published in the Journal of Physiotherapy. The best outcome I have found in meta-studies was that the KT tape works better than doing nothing, but not better than any other therapy.

This is quite different from the TheraBand FlexBar, which is specific for elbow tendonitis. Similar eccentric exercises are known to help with achilles tendonitis. There are plenty of studies that showed that eccentric exercises work better than other therapies, enough so that this can be confirmed by meta-studies like this one.

But eccentric exercises have a few drawbacks. You have to actually do the exercises; do them correctly and often enough; and you may have to push through some pain when doing them. And using a rubber bar (the right way!) does not look nearly as cool as taping yourself up in all different colors.
alap

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thera Band cured me. I think the move is Taylor manoeuvre (?)
injury was bugging me for several months, cured in a week or so

it also helped few years down the row after thumb surgery.
Meduim - green, money well spent.
outhaul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
I don't know anything about KT tape, but make sure that your exercises include eccentric exercises with the TheraBand FlexBar. It worked amazingly well when I got tennis elbow from windsurfing during a Bonaire trip. The tendonites stuck around for more than a year, but was gone after 3 days of FlexBar exercises. I have also heard from others that it worked well for them (although it may take longer). They have 2 sets of exercises, one for tennis elbow and one for golfer's elbow.

There are more details and links (including one to a clinical study) on my blog. My problem was tennis elbow, but scientific studies have shown that FlexBar exercises also help with golfer's elbow.

+3 for Theraband bar, worked for me and two friends, almost magic!
pjs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get pretty severe golfers elbow. Pretty much the only thing that really helps are Reverse Tyler Twists with the Theraband Flexbar. I've been having a flare up for the past 3 months; and working with the Flexbar really helps keep the pain down.

It's also a good idea to sleep in a Pil-O-Splint elbow brace. I use one with the plastic batten removed and the inside kind of doubled up. A lot of people (me included) sleep with kind of preying mantis arms, all tightly folded up, which gets you eight hours every night of further irritates your arm.

The first time it happened to me it was so severe I couldn't even open a door with my bad arm. But about four months in, with no significant change in how much it hurt, I fractured my hand. By the time I'd finished the couple of hand surgeries and months of splinting and hand therapy, my elbow was magically healed. Although, I don't recommend this method.

Pretty much every time I've had a serious tendon injury (2 torn biceps tendons, medial epicondylitis) it was when I was taking daily anti-inflammatories for some other injury. Now I try to avoid taking any anti-inflammatories, or at least limit them to occasional use.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Theraband Flexbar tip! Jamie Dreyer's video is enlightening and encouraging; it's bookmarked and ready for my next "forearmitis" flareup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: