myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rig Recommendation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bostonsailor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Rig Recommendation Reply with quote

Hello,
My name is Erik and I live in Brookline, MA and plan to spend a lot of time at Kalmus Beach, Cape Cod hoping to advance my windsurfing skills. I don't consider myself a beginner since I can beach start and hook into the harness. I will be attending the ABK camp in September to learn water starting and planing. I really love the sport and want to improve my skills and times of enjoyment however I have not been able to dedicate much time in the past so my advancement has been slow. Hopefully I will be able to change this going forward. My most recent equipment was RRD 146 z-ride, Blast 7.5 sail with Chinook pro 1 carbon boom. I dont have easy access to this equipment hence what I'd like to ask this group is your recommendation for a new rig and board. I weigh 166 lbs and measure 5'9". I was recommended by a local surf shop to purchase Chinook Power Glide 6.5 sail, 430 SDM mast with extension, Chinook Pro 1 Alloy boom 150-212cm and Exocet board (I believe Nano 175). I feel this may be too beginner of a rig for me however I have known this surf shop owner for a while and I don't want to second guess his advice. Looking forward to your recommendations.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with your sailing site. Good post by the way.
Interpreting ones level is difficult, in combination with the primary sailing site.

The Chinook sail will be entry level in price , materials, not a particularly bad thing, I would more recommend a better sail, used would a option, you will be adding sizes . The size 6.5 will be useful, smaller to start would be better, something that would remain in use when you progress. The Chinook mast would be ok, it will work with its constant curve bend a variety of other sails.
This is something to keep in mind as the mast will have a long life and sails will come and go, but they need to be compatable. Used masts , it newer and not abused offer a good value, difficult without seeing and even then.
You may consider as a investment going with a better( yes again?.better) skinny, since you will purchase the extension anyway, then continue with RDM, skinnys. Irregardless purchase higher carbon content mast. The boom will be fine, and again , good used may be hard to find.

The Nano if correct on that is entry or budget oriented, it will be on the heavy side. On the large side, I'm your weight, about, and my board is a 135 l
Tabou Rocket, using 7.0-- almost exclusive, it suits down to 6.0 nicely and 8.5 if desired.

I would recommend a Freeride board , of 135--145 liters, width matters, consider a new generation, so to speak, wide thin as RRD FIREMOVE, ROCKET WIDE.. Lots more, these offer a lot of potential at your stage, and could remain as a light wind board.

It is difficult to see an investment potential, the outlay may need to fit into your pocketbook. The board is the highest part, then sail, probably know this already .

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252517671189

Their are several to look at to compare

wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi erikergen,

That is a smart move to attend that ABK camp. You will learn a lot and I am sure they can steer you in the right direction as to what sort of rig you should get.

I would guess you are attending the ABK camp At Hyannis Ma. in September. I hope you get some good wind and have a great time!
DavidAC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik,

I'd recommend checking with your local Boston sailors who sail at Nahant, Pleasure Bay, and South Boston and often go to Kalmus on weekends. Get to Pleasure Bay on any windy late afternoon and there will be several sailors with equipment. I say this because you live < 15 minutes away from there, and 100 minute away from Kalmus, so it would be nice to have equipment that works in both places. Also, check with anyone at the Clinic this September. Many will have equipment you can check out.

A free ride board would be good, but for ocean sailing, at your weight, go with less volume (110-125 liters). Otherwise, you will bounce a lot and not hold on to the surface of the water. In Pleasure bay, with flat water, most sailors who are somewhat heavier than you are on 125 liters or less. In ocean conditions with 17-20 mph winds at Kalmus, that would be a very big board. By the way, Kalmus often blows much bigger than this, so it would be impossible to sail in such board/sail combination.

Suggestion: you need a minimum of 2 sails: something in the 5.5 range and something else in 6.5-7.0 range. You may find both that rig on a 430 mast and the same boom, and there are many used sails for sale in places like craigslist that would work.

Suggestion 2: Given your relative skill level (learning to plane), you should spend lots of time at a place like Pleasure bay in Boston doing just that (good fall winds, totally safe flat water with 360 deg. surrounded by shores, no motor boats or ferries, ...) instead of driving a lot. Then, get to Kalmus next summer to handle the ocean conditions.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erik, great that you have signed up for the ABK camp in Hyannis. I'll see you there in 2 weeks. Kalmus is my home spot, I sail there several days per week. I think the recommendations are all a bit too big for Kalmus. You may find better gear used for less money (check the Cape Cod Windsurfers group on Facebook).

Kalmus can be very choppy, especially near high tide, which can make uphauling very difficult. A 175 l board might help a little, but you won't like it when the wind picks up. Fall can be very windy at Kalmus! So make the water start your top priority for the ABK camp; the last 4 years, we always had at least one day with enough wind to learn to waterstart.

Peter
http://www.ecwindfest.org/capecod.html
http://boardsurfr.blogspot.com
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the Chinook 6.5 is a very good sail.
One is rigged down where we sail about twice a week. It looks correct, like any modern no cam sail. More downhaul adds more twist, outhaul still controls draft depth, and it's made of reinforced scrim mylar, which should resist tears better than monofilm. I'll bet it works as well as any no cam sail, from any company, for all around windsurfing.
RonC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are taking the ABK clinic in Sep, wait until then to decide on your next purchases. Andy and crew at ABK can be a wealth of information about gear choises especially after spending a few days with you. Nothing worse than spending money on gear you really didn't need or weren't ready for yet, etc.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonC wrote:
If you are taking the ABK clinic in Sep, wait until then to decide on your next purchases. Andy and crew at ABK can be a wealth of information about gear choises especially after spending a few days with you. Nothing worse than spending money on gear you really didn't need or weren't ready for yet, etc.

Best advise you could get.
But you have a few opinions to mull around also

edoremus337

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: boston sailing Reply with quote

Hey Erik,
I live in Southie and have been WSing for 10+ years now. I don't have any equipment with me in Boston (nowhere to keep it Rolling Eyes) but I'd be glad to meet up with you at PBay with your equipment and give you some tips/advice if its blowing. PM me if interested and I'll give you my number.

I've sailed a 7.5 Blast for many years and can tell you its quite difficult to learn to waterstart with it. You're on the right track going to a 6.5 or smaller if you're trying to speed up the progression of your skills.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: