myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
beginner question: harnesses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lieberman_mike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 12:16 am    Post subject: beginner question: harnesses Reply with quote

Hi, Ive been windsurfing about two months now, about twice a week, and am trying to learn how to use a harness. The place where I rent my gear only has seat harnesses.

Im pretty small, about 57, 140 lbs. Ive been trying to clip into the harness line whenever Ive fully sheeted in and its blowing. I have a bitch of a time getting the harness on to the line, and the few times that I have been able to get in, I fall forward right away on to the sail.

Im hoping someone will have some helpful suggestions on either getting the harness on the line or staying up when it is. I feel like Im started to plateau, and getting into the harness is the next step.

-mike
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 12:55 pm    Post subject: RE: beginner question: harnesses Reply with quote

heres a few pointers for you mike. Firstly, make sure you have the boom height and harness lines adjusted right.

The harness lines should be set in the center of effort of the sail, and long enough, so when the boom is about chest height (when standing on deck), the lines are easy to hook into and get out.

For beginning I would keep the harness lines a bit long, but not too long. A good rule of thumb is to grab the boom, and the lines should come close or over your elbow.

Getting pitched forward is a normal paying dues type of windsurf thing, so dont get discouraged. The main trick to the harness (aside from the adjustments), is to get the board going first before you attempt to get in.

Sheet in and get the board going, make sure you are not too far upwind or downwind, kinda right in the middle. Step back a bit from the center line to the windward rail (but dont sink it), and bend your knees, Sheet in some more and put the harness hook in the line. Use your legs to push outward and your arms to stay sheeted in. Keep your knees bent to anticipate the pull of the rig. Dont let the rig go forward, and yank you, but you dont want the rig to go back much, cause you will round up wind. Try to feel the board direction and sail pull. The board should be moving enough, so that when you sheet in fully with the harness, the board will get on a plane.

Try to hook in and out to get the feel of the harness.

Once you feel confident of getting in and out, then try to sheet in with the harness and maintain a tack on a plane.

So I assume footstraps is the next topic. That is another learning step that you need to prepare for. Basically, once you have the harness down, then gradually step back on the board, until your feet touch the front part of the foot straps.
Then slide your front foot in. Keep your back foot out for now. Try getting in and out. Sheet in and rip around for awhile.

Once you feel good about that, then try getting your rear foot in. This is a bit more tricky. If you find yourself rounding up, tilt the rig a bit forward (but not too much!)

More on this later.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 4:56 pm    Post subject: RE: beginner question: harnesses Reply with quote

Spyders harness advice is right on. Take it from there, and on your next day of sailing add this: hook in, stabilize, unhook, stabilize, hook in, stabilize, unhook, stabilize, hook in, stabilize, unhook ... etc. In one day like that youll be teaching others to use the harness.

Another Mike \m/

I also vote for back foot first, for Mikes reason and others. So do several people who tried it that way after floundering too long attempting front foot first.
Windlover

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2000 12:50 am    Post subject: RE: beginner question: harnesses Reply with quote

All this is great advice. To add a little, lower your booms about 1/2 to 1 until you get the hookin/unhook thing dialed Then move them back up. Another thing to try is when you get ready to hook in, pull down on the booms with a little outward swing. This will swing the line towards the hook. At the same time raise and roll the hips towards the line. Use just the hips and keep the shoulders and feet in position. These two manuvers will come together soon and you will be dial into harnesses. Trying with a chest harness is easier than a seat but seats are better for speed once you learn how to use them.

As for foot straps and getting into them. I always learned to go front foot first with the back just infront of the back strap. To each their own method. For water starting, using back foot first to get up on the board is the easier way.

Good luck with the harness and keep on sailing.
Windlover
lieberman_mike

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2000 10:57 pm    Post subject: RE: beginner question: harnesses Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your great advice. unfortunately, I still havent had a chance to try. When I posted the first message the wind proceeded to die in the Bay Area, and hasnt really picked up since. Time to wait things out until next season. See you all on the water!

-Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: