myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
what is Kona one top speed??? I ve got 40mph
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many supportive options or ways to refute someone's mistake. We have accusations of trolling by the OP (responce to trolling demonstrates ones own character, not the troll) and victim blaming. Time to give up and own our mistakes and make amends.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leosantanalg@gmail.com wrote:
I asked for advice??? haha thats hilarious...

If you ask where you can buy a GPS, that's asking for advice. You did. Screen shot attached.

You are distorting the truth once again.

Leo asks for advice.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.33 KB
 Viewed:  14674 Time(s)

Leo asks for advice.jpeg

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leosantanalg@gmail.com wrote:
Some of you guys are just grumpy old farts!! and rude, very rude.

Once again, name calling.

The facts are simple:

- On August 23, OP posted a video where he claimed he reached 40 mph on a Kona.

- Over the next two days, he got a number of responses that point out many reasons why he was nowhere near the claimed top speed, with possible reasons for the discrepancy. These include posts from coachg, skyking1231, techno900, pete1111, and myself. Many of these posts are phrased quite neutrally.

- On September 1, OP posted a link to the same video on Facebook. After a discussion about the speed where he strongly indicated that he still believed the 40 mph were real, I asked him to post a link to the track so this can be sorted out, which he did. I then explained to him that this was a typical GPS spike, with the same pictures I posted here.

- On September 2, OP finally responded here. He still insisted that "yeah maybe GPS is off but I will garantee is not by much". There are a lot more statements that indicate that he still believes the 40 mph is real ("as far as fitness goes I can put money any day I m in better shape than the world speed windsurf record holder.").

It was only after he still "garantee"'d that his speed was close to 40 mph that I posted the screen shots and explanations here. Only after I posted the data did he claim that it "has been clear since the beginning that is a spike in speed".

He then immediately went into the offense, calling me "rude!!!" and "Obsessively pissed", and telling me to "dont bother posting all your technical comments".

Fact is that he did not check his data; ignored responses from several experienced GPS users that the speed could not be real; insisted that his claimed speed was real, or at least close, even after knowing that is actual GPS top speed was less than 25 mph; only admitted that the speed was a spike after I posted screen shots of his data; and then went and attacked, painting himself into the position of an innocent victim. Very skillful, reminds me of somebody else.

I have dealt with similar GPS errors before. There is always some disappointment when the windsurfer realizes that he's been fooled by the GPS, but this is by far the worst case of denial I have seen, and the first one where the person in error resorted to name calling and lying.

Some of you might wonder why I have spent so much time on this. As GURGLETROUSERS pointed out, that's partly because I am passionate about GPS speedsurfing. As the "captain" to the only US team on the GPS Team Challenge, I often have to sort out speed issues with new team members. Andy Brandt has deemed me knowledgeable enough to teach about GPS speedsurfing at an ABK camp. But that was only the reason for my first response and the follow-up about Spotty's SUP video a few days later.

All the other posts were because the OP had posted his video with questions about the ECWF Cape Cod on the Cape Cod Windsurfers page. I happen to organize the ECWF Cape Cod together with my wife, so I responded to the question, and also pointed out that the speed on the video was overstated. A few more responses (including "Very accurate" and "Will do just to debunk you" by OP) then led to looking at the tracks. So imagine my surprise when I saw that the OP still insisted on the speeds being close to 40 mph a day later, after he knew that there was just one single data point that said 40 mph, with the rest of his speed below 25.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP:

I sail a Kona too and measured my speed a few times. If I recall well, my best were close to 25 kts, but I lost the data. It was with a 7.5 sail and 40 cm fin, in variable wind. The lulls were long, getting the water flatter, and the puffs were used to start planing and then accelerate as good as I could.

I felt going faster on lake Champlain, with a 6.0, but had nothing to measure. I'm in Montreal, and have yet to go to Champlain this year, but I'll try to PM you next time.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wernerhickey wrote:
responce to trolling demonstrates ones own character, not the troll)

Not in my book. The only behavior lower than trolling (lying to elicit a response) IMO is baseless personal attacks (lies focused on the messenger to undermine his credibility in the eyes of readers not sharp enough recognize the tactic). Trolling wastes everyone's time and often stirs up trouble. A troll deserves every piece of crap thrown his way and then some.
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobar, a troll is a troll, by definition- as you describe. We also have choices with how we respond - if we every feel like we need to call someone an idiot or ridicule someone or something similar online, that should be a signal to check ourselves. I am not saying we do not get caught up in the heat of discussion - but when we do, we own it "The troll made me do it!" - not really.

I do not think the OP was/is a troll, I think he got a bit over excited by a false reading on his GPS, left himself exposed and some took the shot. Some of it was humorous and good-natured (god knows we need some humour in this world), some helpful, some gave the OP the benefit of doubt but some of it was just unnecessary and unfortunate to read.

I have not posted on this topic before- and I am in no position to cast the first stone.

I am looking forward to reading about something else.
Bigwave65

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep that stoke alive Leo, don't let anyone take that from you. Man this is one tough crowd. Mistakes were made- oh well.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wernerhickey wrote:
I do not think the OP was/is a troll, I think he got a bit over excited by a false reading on his GPS

That's my assumption, too, for two reasons.

1. I assume people are honest and sincere until they prove otherwise and get filtered. (I have been amazed to see some otherwise respectable people not just admit, but boast about, their trolling.)

2. If he were trying to deceive us, he wouldn't have posted the passing scenery, which clearly does not imply high speeds.
leosantanalg@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see, I was called Ignorant, stupid, dummy and idiot!!

But now I also been called a Troll because I "falsely accused" people of being rude!!

Keep on Guys. FWI - the new speed on the Kona is 31mph or 26.93 knots...

I re calibrated the GPS and measure that Friday but I m still waiting on my new GPS for more accurate data.

To all of you that have been nice to me, Thank you
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

31 MPH is totally believeable, and a nice speed for almost any windsurfing board, one not yet achieved by recreational foil rider's yet.
I"d think 37 mph is realistic, but not with a 9 meter sail, or even a 7 meter sail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: