myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fanatic Ultra cat vs Alpha Pro Race 220
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
systemslib

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Fanatic Ultra cat vs Alpha Pro Race 220 Reply with quote

Any opinions on pros/cons of each and/or which one would you take home? Both in great shape, the ultra cat was slightly used, the pr 220 is still in the bubble wrap! Not much out there on pr 220 but looks like it was top shelf for racing longboard, ultra cat looks like it was no slouch either. thanks
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are very good raceboards that are fairly easy to sail for the average guy. Both boards are nearly the same in length, width and volume.

I have an '89 Ultra Cat and use it on days where the wind is very up and down, say 5-20+. Never sailed the Alpha, but it is very similar to the Ultra Cat. Both have a narrow tail and are very fast on all points of sail. The ultra cat has a big carbon daggerboard that is wide and sticks up above the deck when it is fully retracted so I usually sail the board without the daggerboard as I like a clear deck. I don't know about the Alpha's daggerboard, it may or may not be as wide.

You really can't go wrong with either board, as long as they come with the original mast foot. They are great for sailing in lakes, bays, and even the ocean, though neither work well in waves.

How much are they asking?
systemslib

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much? Probably too much (still a fraction of new longboard) but I went for the fanatic ultra cat (1988) in g/vg condition as the pr220 was missing a key piece of the mast track. Have sailed the cat twice in 10-20 gusty wind on local lake and it is a great old longboard. A bit rusty since my teens in the 80s but not too many falls, one catapult and a reawakening to the windboard.

[/url]
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find! Looks nearly new. Mine has much more signs of wear and several small repairs, but still sails great. Great board for lake sailing. Enjoy!
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I truly hope you are happy..sounds like it!!

Is there room for more footstraps ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
systemslib

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re footstraps, no kidding! The number matches to the catalog shot but for me more than necessary. The centerboard does noticeably ride high as well so may remove a few straps later to make some room. This board is in great shape but was sailed in the past, a few dings and scratches but then looks like put away for a decades long nap. The rear fins track is very tight, had to use a rubber mallet to tap into the track and it only wants to seat closer to the front, so that is how I am running it. Taking it out this afternoon in decent winds and will set the mast track back for more reaching/planing as ran on setting 4 previously. It heads right upwind as needed which is not surprising given the cb length.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fin.. Sand the sides and often fit to assure you don't go too far.

Good fun ..,,,!*# more fun

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had the Fanatic Ultra Cat, Mistral Equipe I carbon and now the Mistral Equipe II XR carbon

http://joewindsurfer.blogspot.ca/2011/09/fanatic-ultra-cat.html

http://joewindsurfer.blogspot.ca/2013/09/mistral-equipe-i-lcs-xr-and-fanatic.html

http://joewindsurfer.blogspot.ca/2016/04/mistral-equipe-ii2.html

the Fanatic Ultra CAT aka FUC board was great in terms of flotation
i NEVER liked the mast base nor the track
that was why I went to the Mistral Equipe I
had a chance to get the Mistral Equipe II and so sold the MEQ one

staying with the MEQ2
only problem with this model is the gasket

enjoy the board, it is a good one !!
if one likes longboards Smile
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great find
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
systemslib

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, yes I enjoyed reading all of your posts on the cat. I agree the mast base is a bit odd, I find it very difficult to get the clamp all the way to fixed, and getting it out with numb fingers tough as well. For that reason I have been sailing it (about 10 times) with the pin set to 500N. Any idea what this setting is, 500 newtons maybe? See war story below regarding this setting.

Today was supposed to be steady 15 so I took the day off to hit the water. At landing it was very gusty, more like 20 or so with some really crazy swirling gusts as well. I was sailing around on a broad to beam reach and moving pretty good when a gust lifted me to catapult, I felt it coming so managed to swing the mast away from board as I did not want to hit the nose. I slammed the water pretty hard going right into the sail holding the boom, not a bad fall but I look up and see the rig has detached and the board is moving downwind fast, about 5-10 ft away. Detached harness and grabbed the base as tried to pull the rig toward board but after 30 seconds it was obvious what do so, I abandoned the rig and swam for the board. Full middle lake exposure with strong winds now gusting 20-25 and whitecaps, the board is moving faster than me. I start to pound a sidestroke and slowly gaining but tiring fast. I flipped to inverted backstroke to catch my breath, repeat, finally after what seems like an eternity but probably was only 5 or so minutes I grab the tail and haul on, man it felt good to rest and I look up to see the rig still visible about 40 yards away upwind which was a but surprising to see as thought perhaps it would sink. Managed to paddle to it and hoist in onto the board. Rested about 10 minutes as the adrenaline was wearing off with that kind of sick feeling. Had to get back into the whitecaps and flip the board to get the base reattached and was pretty weak at that point. Rested another 10 minutes while drifting in the swell about halfway down the lake with landing upwind. Managed to get the sail back up and with the harness and close hauled getting back was not too bad as confidence came back even though still weak, with a light headed feeling.

Just had a beer and everything is cool, but pretty sure I need to get the clip to the fixed last slot vs the 500N, see pic below. One thing that stood out was once I rolled up on the board and knew that major crisis had passed was how sparkly silver paint on "ultra cat" section of the board was as I paddled face down to grab the rig. One of those details that sticks in your mind during a emergency moment.

I am curious as thought rigs would sink this was first time I have had one detach, maybe it depends on sail size or maybe time window, luck, air pocket who knows but glad it ended up working out this time.

IMG_6236.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.07 MB
 Viewed:  24200 Time(s)

IMG_6236.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: