myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
high wind (30-35mph) waterstarting
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2000 11:50 am    Post subject: RE: high wind (30-35mph) waterstarting Reply with quote

Apparent wind = the wind we feel = the wind an on-board anemometer would measure. So if were out in 35-mph winds but bobbing in one spot as we waterstart, we -- and the sail -- feel the whole 35-mph enchilada. But if were waterstarting in a broad reach, every knot of downwind speed we can muster is one less knot of wind we and the sail can feel. Add that to the extreme tilt of our rig while our chest or butt are still submerged, and were feeling much less power -- fewer apparent mph and fewer square meters exposed. Thus our hands must deal with MUCH less force even when we sheet in to rise and accelerate.

So far,then, there are two factors reducing the power our hands must deal with: weaker apparent wind because were moving downwind and fewer square meters exposed to the wind (until we stand up). Now a third major factor appears: drag.

Picture coming out of a jibe you stalled in high winds. 35 mph of wind
+ zero mph board speed + beam reach + upright rig = either our hands are gonna get ripped off the booms or our arms are gonna get ripped off ourshoulders. That, or were going into low earth orbit. Were got the rig at full power, but not only is the board speed zero, its also pushing a heap of water and feels like its stuck against a curb. It feels like we grabbed a passing bumper while hitchhiking on a freeway. It must feel much the same if we waterstart deliberately pointing upwind -- full horsepower and full brakes, the difference being exerted on our body. After all, the force our body must absorb is pretty much = sail power minus hull drag (engine power minus brake power). Were the tow rope between the tractor and the stump! Since the sail power and hull drag oppose each other, our bodies feel their arithmetic SUM, particularly before we attain laminar flow and the sail function transitions from obstacle to foil. Thus if we can accelerate AS we waterstart rather than AFTER we waterstart, both the apparent wind (engine power) and the hull drag are reduced, so the net power our bodies must endure is reduced dramatically. Add planing (MUCH lower hull drag) before we stand up and expose every square inch to the wind, and the forces we endure are reduced by WAY over 50%.

For those reasons -- reduced apparent wind, reduced hull drag, and reduced sq meters -- waterstarting in a very broad reach onto a plane as we rise limits the pull on our arms to something like the levels wed feel while fully planing, which is readily manageable. And theres never a moment when were trying to balance ourselves while trying to fight a raging bull as we stand on a bouncing platform.

Mike \m/
spyder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2000 3:52 pm    Post subject: RE: high wind (30-35mph) waterstarting Reply with quote

mike \m/ -- I believe your analysis, I am out there getting some sailing data now. Thanks for detailing so well.

I still think that pointing slightly upwind still reduces the sail exposure to the wind, which reduces the force. If you anticipate the boards drag, and by sheeting in enough to get the board moving before attempting the harness/straps, then everything works w/o getting tossed.

However, I do believe your method makes sense, and I will try that.

When its NOT too windy, I find myself pointing the board downwind as I waterstart.

When in the higher wind (but not radical), I noted that I point more on a reach. I also noticed that when I am sailing fast and furious, I sometimes waterstart with the board pointed downwind, and blast onto a plane.

Sometimes, I am doing some of what you describe, but no foot in the strap, until after harness is hooked.
joeyyyy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2000 1:51 am    Post subject: RE: high wind (30-35mph) waterstarting Reply with quote

Wow!! You said a mouthful!
What I meant was: How you you use the Term Apperent Wind.

I totaly agree with your water starting style, but not with your deffinition of apperent wind.

Apperent Wind: = The wind that you feel (true), but not from the true wind.

Apperent Wind is the air felt as you speed through it (if I am explaining it correctly).

Example:
Wind is 35 mph, you are moving at 35 mph= no apperent wind. no true wind felt.

next example:
wind is 35 mph, you are moving at 10 mph= no apperent wind. 20 mph of true wind felt.

next example:
wind is 35 mph, you are moving at 40 mph= 5 mph of apperent wind and no true wind felt.
and so on... and so on...

all those examples are concidering that you are moving directly down wind.

another example would be your in the car going 60mph. the wind you feel when you put your hand out the window is apperent wind.

another would be your moving at 30 mph in 30 mph winds, and you go through a wind shadow (this is a killer on a windskate, cause you go from 30 mph powered up to 30 mph backwinded,,, ouch!!)

I hope this helps you in your teaching skills...
and no Im not bagging on you like everyone did me (you included), I think your cool...
sail hard.....
joeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2000 4:13 pm    Post subject: RE: high wind (30-35mph) waterstarting Reply with quote

joeyyyy - I think mike said the same thing.

but to calculate the apparent wind at a point of tack, youd have to use vector math to figure out the forces. ie. the angle of the wind on the sail, the speed of the board, the speed of the wind.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2000 7:19 pm    Post subject: RE: high wind (30-35mph) waterstarting Reply with quote

It was not my definition; its right out of the textbooks. Apparent wind IS the wind felt by the sailor or measured by an on-board anemometer. It is the vector sum of the true (ambient) wind and the motion of the vessel.

I think the confusion is in the term true wind. The true wind is the amount (and direction) of wind a tree (any fixed object) sees. When we start moving -- running, sailing, driving, etc. -- through the air, our movement across the surface generates another wind component equal in speed and opposite in direction to our speed across the planet. The apparent wind is the vector sum (i.e., accounts for both mph and direction) of the true wind and our motion-generated wind. We cant change the true wind even if were in a Ferrari F-1 or a cigarette boat; only God or Robby can affect the true wind.

And Im glad you said mouthful; some say I talk out of the other end. Besides ... Im sure youll feel free to rag on me when I deserve it, as I shall.

Mike \m/
harris52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2000 7:33 pm    Post subject: RE: high wind (30-35mph) waterstarting Reply with quote

Not to be slightly rude, but I think the advice your giving is pretty bad. I mean, if it works for you great, I have no complaints, but this is definetely not born of the way 99% of people do a high wind waterstart. By pointing your rig upwind your decreasing the angle that the sail is exposed to the wind. By pointing downwind youre exposing more sail to the wind at a more difficult angle to control, since the mast side of the sail is farther away from the wind. As you have 0 mph, you dont have any speed to decrease the apparent wind when youre getting pulled out of the water. So I guess its not much of a mystery as to just why you need to have your back foot in the strap and/or your other foot, plus possibly hooked in!? Does that sound like youre helping decrease the power in your hands?

Actually my high wind waterstarts are extremely similair to most of my waterstarts. The only difference in high wind is Im cautious about how much sail to expose to the wind so I will be brought up slowly (and more importantly) I act as if Im rubber man. That means if Im overloaded and Im getting thrown forward my back simply rotates with the sail until Im depowered enough to be in control... even if that means being totally luffed and standing on my board motionless in 35mph of wind.

gh
gregknopf

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2000 3:15 am    Post subject: RE: high wind (30-35mph) waterstarting Reply with quote

Hey Mike, Im definitely with you on here. Especially the idea of putting your back foot, or both feet, in the straps before you waterstart. I find that if I start with the board pointed upwind a little and sheet out instantly, its extremely unstable from that point until Im in the straps. So by starting on a broad reach with my feet already in, I can skip that whole period of vulnerability and save some punishment. This is especially true in big chop or swells, where its tough to manage the power when youre not in the straps.
Adios
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: