myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Up hauling: any tricks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juanlema

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2000 2:56 pm    Post subject: Up hauling: any tricks? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
As a beginner, yesterday I suffered to up haul a 6.7 sail in 12-15 kts: is there any tips, equipment ( what about this easy uphaul?), advices to make this easier ( besides going to the gym)? I suppose there a long way to waterstarting for me yet...
spyder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2000 3:33 pm    Post subject: RE: Up hauling: any tricks? Reply with quote

Uphauling a large sail is a big P-I-T-A, no matter what you use or do. What I suggest is to skip trying to uphaul the big sail, and learn to waterstart. Also you can practice other sail/board manuvers with a smaller sail, which is easier to uphaul. While I think its necessary to be able to uphaul this sail eventually, I dont think its required at this point to agonize over this aspect of the sport. I dont uphaul at all, if I can avoid it. You can get so good waterstarting, that if there is a small amount of wind, you can get up.

A great way to learn waterstarting, is to get really good at beachstarting the rig (dont go too far, unless you tack well). Then move out a bit deeper and get your back leg up on deck (heel near centerline, between front/rear footstraps), and beachstart. As you move out in deeper water, you are getting closer to a water start.

Practice feeling where the wind powers the sail, while you are either sitting/standing on the bottom, or floating (with the back leg on deck). Rotate the rig from side to side, feel where it is strongest and weakest. Locate the best balance point, it should be comfortable. Then, practice floating in the waterstart position (back foot on deck), and keeping the board pointed on a reach, with the sail raised enough to keep you up. See how moving the rig from front to rear forces the board down or up wind. Keep the board pointed on a reach (about perpindicular to the wind). Getting this mastered is key to waterstarting.

The remaining things you have to learn, is clearing the rig, and mounting the board. This explaination is just to start learning, it isnt complete.

The hardest part of a waterstart, is clearing the big rig. But you can avoid that now, with the deeper water beachstart. technique.

You can have the waterstart thing down in a month if you try hard.

I recommend getting a video to learn the waterstart, its not as far off as you think!
juanlema

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2000 3:35 pm    Post subject: RE: Up hauling: any tricks? Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I only have this one...so I think my options are: 1- sailing only when conditions are around 10 kts or 2- try to learn waterstarting before straps/harness!!!

Thanks
juanlema

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2000 3:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Up hauling: any tricks? Reply with quote

Man, this was practically...an entire lesson! dont you have a job? ( kidding...).
I suppose normally I would make my way trough straps and harness use before getting into waterstart...but I think Im gonna make it a priority or, as Prozac says, I will not be fun to manage such a sail at these conditions ( as a beginner, of course)

Thanks
Windlover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2000 7:39 pm    Post subject: RE: Up hauling: any tricks? Reply with quote

Hey Juanlema,

Need to use a smaller sail. Maybe a 5.0 or smaller RAF, no cambers, rig it somewhat flat. Once you are in your uphaul stance ready to pull:
Roll hips towards sail.
Straighten back.
Pull shoulders back.
Bend knees deeply.
Get new grip on rope closer to boom.
Pulling back with shoulders, arms straight, straighten knees & hold.
This will bring the top of the mast out of the water about a foot.
Hold a moment for water to release.
Then using the shoulders, reach hand over hand, keeping arms straight, (use shoulders)
to pull the sail up to your chest.
Hold rope right under boom with your back hand.
Reach across with front hand, grasp boom.
Pull sail across in front of you and grasp boom with back hand.
Sheet in slowly and youre sailing.
The easy uphaul uses the same princepals as the method described above. Using the knees to get the top of the mast to clear the water is the easiest way to start uphauling. Then let the shoulders do the pulling work. If you keep your arms straight you will be forced to pull with the shoulders. Takes less energy from your arms so you can sail longer. Hope this helps and good luck with your sailing.
Windlover
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: