myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
One board quiver-formula
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5-9 mph is pretty much out of the planing equation, but fun for a 4.5 sail doing old school sail flip tricks.
Planing starts around 9 mph for most folks not using a 11.5 and pumping like a pro. Reality is, a 8.5 to 9.5 sail max, and it planes for lightweights at around 9-11 mph with lots of pumping, unweighting, and riding a windswell broad.
Of course, it winds of 10-15, don't max downhaul, and don't max outhaul. Keep a full bag, you won't be overpowered in sub 15.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An adjustable outhaul is pretty much mandatory on Formula gear. That's because the apparent windspeed and angle as well as the desired amount of power can change drastically depending on your point of sail and whether you're in a puff or lull. An AO is pretty easy to setup, but also pretty hard to describe in words. You essentially have one cleat mounted on each side of the boom with a line that runs back to the outhaul to allow for 8:1 adjustment. Search around the web and you'll find some pictures and there are companies that sell kits.

Having adjustable harness lines is also definitely recommended.

As for tuning, generally stick to the manufacturer's recommendations.
Quote:
Of course, it winds of 10-15, don't max downhaul, and don't max outhaul. Keep a full bag, you won't be overpowered in sub 15.

Could not be farther from correct.

Do not be tempted to "under-downhaul" in light winds to bag out the sail. In solid 15mph winds at 135LB and with say an 8.5 or 9.0, you will be lit up on Formula gear. But in light wind, the downhaul still needs to be tight with a lot of looseness in the upper panels of the sail, even when the wind seems marginally planable. Formula rigs are designed for small angles of attack with the apparent wind typically coming from right off the nose. You can not sail 1.5 to 2 times windspeed with your sail bagged out and your leech tight. Lots of downhaul is key to keeping the draft locked in and letting the top of the rig open up when the apparent wind speed ramps up.

sm
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bard2shed has it right. I have an 11.0 and it's upper limit for me is 14-15 knots on my formula board. It's a handful and rarely use it anymore because of the gusty conditions I sail in. I weigh 168 lbs.

I also have adjustable outhaul on my 6.6 to 11.0 race sails. Really not needed for my 6.6 and 7.6, but is nice to have on my 8.4, 9.2 and 11.0. I raced formula for many years (no more), so I still have all the tools I needed at the time. And I used all the sails while racing. Not many formula racers go below a 9.0, but for me in 25 knots of wind, I was fine going down to a 6.6 to stay alive, just trying to finish the races.

If I could swap my formula for a big freeride, I would do it in a second. Something that would take my 9.2 (wind range on my formula of 10 - 17 knots with the 9.2). I would give up a little early planing, but gain a lot more versatility and comfort.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty much my perspective on Formula boards also, although I don't
have one. I can make my Freeride board plane up in 10-12 with
some active pumping on a 9.5 Retro, and the ride is much more pleasant than formula (as are the turns)
I just don't have the chops for Formula. Fortunately I'm on a 4.7 most of
the time these days. ;*)

-Craig

p.s. I weigh 185 lbs

techno900 wrote:
If I could swap my formula for a big freeride, I would do it in a second. Something that would take my 9.2 (wind range on my formula of 10 - 17 knots with the 9.2). I would give up a little early planing, but gain a lot more versatility and comfort.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction for the swap....
Swap a Formula for a big FREERACE.
A big freeride is just too heavy, the rails too soft, for any kind of early planing.
A FREERACE is a relatively new concept, so would cost much more than a used Formula.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-4 on the freeRACE. I still want performance.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and ...

BIG freerace are:

Fanatic Falcon 152, Tabou Speedster 89, RRD X-Fire Lightwind 150 and Exocet RS 6.5 ??
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred
An adjustable outhaul is pretty much mandatory on Formula gear. That's because the apparent windspeed and angle as well as the desired amount of power can change drastically depending on your point of sail and whether you're in a puff or lull. An AO is pretty easy to setup, but also pretty hard to describe in words. You essentially have one cleat mounted on each side of the boom with a line that runs back to the outhaul to allow for 8:1 adjustment. Search around the web and you'll find some pictures and there are companies that sell kits.

Having adjustable harness lines is also definitely recommended.

Do booms have to come with AO or can you get parts to make a boom into one? Is the purpose of having adjustable harness lines to let you get better leverage in gusts by lowering your body which would not be possible in normal lines.

I will buy my board used because I will not be racing and do not need the latest's and lightest board. Something like a 2003/4 138, 147 or 158 for me would do the trick as I have seen them for some pretty good prices ($250-$400) depending on condition. The one's with nose protectors are usually in better shape. If I find a formula I will slap some protection on the nose just in case.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atlas said:
Quote:
Do booms have to come with AO or can you get parts to make a boom into one? Is the purpose of having adjustable harness lines to let you get better leverage in gusts by lowering your body which would not be possible in normal lines.

Booms do not come with AO, you have to buy and add them. Be sure the boom has two pulleys in the boom end.

The Adjustable harness lines for formula racers are used to: Short for upwind beating with a flatter sail. Longer lines for downwind runs while in the outside foot straps with a bagged sail. You just need to be closer to the sail on upwind and further from it on the downwind. A flat sail is more efficient upwind and a bagged sail is more stable with better power deep downwind.

It take lots of practice to become proficient running deep downwind. It's not so hard if you use the "chicken strap" (a third back strap in the center of the board), but it's considerably slower. If in the chicken strap, shorter harness lines work better. It can be very scary fast in the outside straps running deep in strong winds, and this is where getting tossed over the nose is most likely to happen. However, getting tossed can happen just about anytime during the learning period.

If you are just reaching with a little upwind and downwind sailing, adjustable harness lines are not greatly needed. However, an AO is always nice just to keep your rig balanced. With the bigger sails, the COE in the sail can move forward and back with wind lulls and gusts, which throws off the balance of the harness lines (more pull on the front or back hand). With an AO, you bag in the lulls or flatten in the gusts to keep the COE stable and balanced with your harness lines.
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unsure of what height to set the boom for a formula board with big sail.I know a guideline is somewhere in between shoulder and chin height but should I set it a bit higher like forehead.Would it help to plane earlier with a higher boom set up?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: