myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 160, 161, 162 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Stick on Friday Reply with quote

Good, steady wind all afternoon at the Stick. Not too holey and averaging about 17 to 20 mph. I was well powered with the 5.0/Fanatic freewave. About 10 sailors getting ready at my usual 3 pm quitting time. The Stick is often good thru mid to late October, as is Crissy and T.I.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Stick on Friday Reply with quote

bert wrote:
... The Stick is often good thru mid to late October, as is Crissy and T.I.

Stick yes, it is the latest and earliest spot in the season. But Crissy? The wind line moves too much to the north side in Fall and it is very erratic. Days like yesterday, or day before, Stick is fine, but Crissy gets very tricky. Twisted Evil Not so sure about TI, but at least the wind line is right there, not half a mile out!

Confession: this year I wish the season over. I want get into more serious MTB and the windsurf is stopping it ... what's wrong with me? Shocked Shocked Shocked
Goodwind

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Stick all year round Reply with quote

I think the wind line at Crissy's main beach is often far from shore in the fall; I used to launch from the beach near South Tower for a closer wind line before they "improved" Crissy. No worry of tides, water level and wind line, I think the Stick is one of the best... provided you don't hate flat water. Been sailing there from February to November for a while now (saving my knees). With my new 10' Exocet Windsuck, I can now sail all year round.
bert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Saturday sailing at Flying Tigers Reply with quote

Warm, relaxing, but solitary sailing at Tigers from 2-4 pm this Saturday. 5.9 Volt/110L RRD allowed me to plane ~75% in fairly steady 15-17 mph winds at Tigers and downwind towards the Oyster Point Harbor markers. Air temp was warm, balmy so no wetsuit needed. Needed only a couple of tacks to make it back to the Oysters ramp at the end of my session.

20160924_144234-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  876.86 KB
 Viewed:  13941 Time(s)

20160924_144234-1.jpg

windward1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natural Bridges today, Saturday. Wind was blowing 13 to 14 so rigged the Ezzy 7.0 and took the Titan. Good for a run to the kelp and then after a wipeout for some unknown reason, maybe missed seeing s kelp head, I crashed. After that the wind was less and I could not even sail in the foot straps. Went back in and changed the board to the Angulo WindSUP. Of course the wind had come back up by that time. Stayed with this rig and rode some of the south swell coming in off of Sidewalks. Was fun and occasionally a set that had some significant size waves in it would come in. Good thing I stayed with the Angulo as the wind started fading and becoming up and down. Sometimes the set and the puffs did not match up which would prove fustrating, but other times they were in sync and I could eek out a fun ride. A lot like last Sunday was, except that was a west swell and this was a south. Winds were a little stronger and steadier last Sunday as well. But we are headed into Autumn, so steadiness usually suffers.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took this in Capitola on an afternoon in August I believe it was. I think this is a Windward sighting. Looked like you were taking advantage of an onshore wind outside the kelp to get up to the hook.

capitola.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  291.67 KB
 Viewed:  13828 Time(s)

capitola.jpg

windward1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Beallmd,

That be me. Could have been either August 5th or August 28th. Both days I windsurfed to Pleasure Point from New Brighton and found many waves in my happy hunting grounds.

Thanks for the pic.

I sail by The Hook, but do not try to ride waves there as it is always packed with surfers, leaving me not enough room to maneuver clear of everyone. I have ridden just around the downwind corner from there when it is clear.

Windward1
bert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Stick on Tuesday Reply with quote

Good to be back on the saddle again after 2 no wind days. About 12 mph at the Stick at 1 pm so I took out the JP Superlightwind and a 7.3 North Sail. Need only a good fart to get that sucker planing and the 7.3 was the right call for the day. Wind increased to 15 after an hour so I headed down to Hunters Point just for the hell of it..gets really light down that way. I was in planing mode ~90% of the time and cranked over 30 jibes on the door sized (36 inches wide) board, 3 of which were fully planing jibes at the exit. That's whats great about the Stick..you can really work on your jibe technique with very little chop interference. I had a blast today. Smile

20160927_145042_HDR-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.54 MB
 Viewed:  13680 Time(s)

20160927_145042_HDR-1.jpg

ringe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Thanks Bert for the updates on your late season wind seeking Reply with quote

I've been out of town lately playing a couple disc golf tournaments (did relatively poorly this year because windsurfing is more fun ... too much board time lately for me, not enough disc practice) ... anyway..
been following Bert's late season wind seeking .. it's an art to find that late season thermal wind at the foot of the gaps.
Bert has been on the water a long time (why no gray hair like me?) and, I would say, is a foremost local expert in finding wind.
So I've been looking for your posts Bert

Just got home so you may see me with my big floaty soon. Hunt
Cool
cachaocachao

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Olympic Circle Reply with quote

4.4 was awesome Tuesday about 1 mi SW of Brooks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 160, 161, 162 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 161 of 329

Jump to: