myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
which carbon boom?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgda

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: which carbon boom? Reply with quote

Finally considering upgrading to a carbon boom after going through 2 or 3 chinook aluminum booms over the years. I noticed the chinook pro 1 is about 5 lbs vs. the maui sails boom which is only about 2 lbs!

Any words of wisdom/recommendations?
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinook's in pounds, MS is in kg. They weigh about the same.

I still do not like the MS head operation or arm shape as much as I do Chinook's. I'm about ready to boil my MS heads in oil to soften them up for rigging and especially derigging. OTOH, Chinook's new double-pin extension lock is breaking too often (too brittle). I'd prefer rigging hassles to failure.

SEARCH the forum for several lengthy threads comparing the two brands.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of reasons to go with Chinook. As local as you can get, good quality , service to back up. I have/ had 2.

I currently have Chinook and AL360 from Italy.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 Chinooks. They work great., No issues. Good company to deal with.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Maui Sails carbon wave 170 when it came out in 2007. Although I had it re-gripped a few years back, the boom is still going strong. The front end is arguably the best on the market, and the generous extension length really makes it a very versatile product (covers me from 5.0 to 7.0). If I had one criticism, it would be the fact that the adjustment clips tend to break over time. I'm on my third set right now. At $40 a set, that's a bit taxing.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't owned either but why should that stop me from chiming in? One thing to consider is how you feel about the rdm shim. Do you consider it a wrestle or a snap? The Chinook is built in, the MS is an (extra long) separate piece. I did have an MS boom head on one of my HPL's and it was so heavy I sold it and bought a Streamlined head, very stiff and very light. It (Dyneema model) is by far the easiest-rigging head I have ever had. Of course, you are limited to rdm or sdm. Sailworks carries both Chinook and Streamlined, and I believe they are both on sale right now. Why not give them a call and get their input?
jgda

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: carbon booms Reply with quote

Thanks to all. I am seeing a bias toward chinook/local and thanks for the tip that they were on sale. Need to look at the Streamlined though, but that is more spendy....
trburl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of the Oregon Coast sailors including Dana Miller the SW storm sailing king, sail Chinook Carbon Booms for a reason. It really is the stuff you trust.
rapacz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned all the brands discussed, in my opinion Streamlined is FAR superior
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: