myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
It's been windy, steady, warm, sunny, and dry out east

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: It's been windy, steady, warm, sunny, and dry out east Reply with quote

I enjoy sailing alone, but it is riskier than with company, so I'll share this tip: the water is still very comfortable and the recent winds have been exceptionally steady in the eastern Gorge and mostly filled in shore to shore. 3 of the past 9 days have had 2 to 5 continuous hours on one sail and one board, never overpowered and never slogging, with plenty of moderate swell to play on under clear to cloudy dry skies. A steamer has been too warm for me, and I wear more neoprene than most people. The small handful of WSers who finally showed up after hours of excellent wind were mostly on 4.7s.

Git on out here. There's more to the Gorge than the Fall Hood River rain forest. And shame on iW for dropping the human powered Gorge forecasts this weekend. (Hey, iW; some of us own good wetsuits, and the water is still 18 degrees short of mandatory booties.)

Another tip: This Friday doesn't fit that pattern. It looks much more gnarly, but at least the water's still comfy.
brettn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eyeing this weekend as our last trip of the year, but seems too weird and inconsistent to justify a drive down from Bellingham. Glad you're seeing some action.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brettn wrote:
seems too weird and inconsistent to justify a drive down from Bellingham

I agree. Friday looks like ripslog ... 15-20 gusting well over 45 ... a recipe for swims, long walks, and even injury potential; just the kind of day I watch from shore maybe twice each year simply because they suck and I don't HAVE to do them. The weekend prediction is, well, unpredictable. It's just an hour's drive for me, and SOMETIMES they overstate the gustiness, so I'll try to cherry-pick a few short sessions Friday. But, man ... two swims and hikes and I'm outta there.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brettn wrote:
Eyeing this weekend as our last trip of the year, but seems too weird and inconsistent to justify a drive down from Bellingham.

Ya want wind this weekend? Stay home. The forecast is for one of the top 5 ALL-TIME windstorms in the Seattle area. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: