myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wavesailing NJ next days
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bred2shred

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSA147 wrote:
Thinking I'll try Lavallette tomorrow, where does everyone launch from?

Jacobsen park. You can park on the large grass area on the North side of the North tennis courts, rig there, and launch at the small beach to the North of the big pier (my preference). Or you can park on the driveway/road by the South tennis courts and launch to the South of the big pier.

sm
rswabsin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaco,

I'm most likely gonna sail Lavallette tomorrow. You'll see the wind will be pretty much dead onshore their and you'll have to clear the fishing pier on your first or second sailing reach upwind - or you can walk out past the pier on the south side. Once out - sail upwind as much as possible to get yourself out into the middle of the bay where the wind is typically more consistent and the chop smooths out a bit. The chop near the island to the south is typically disorganized but once upwind you get clear of it. Should be a good group there tomorrow.

Rob
RSA147

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some fun out in Lavalette on Saturday morning from around 10am - 12pm. Rain made for a good sting to the face, water was still warm but air temp was a little chilly.

Lavalette1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  348.65 KB
 Viewed:  29534 Time(s)

Lavalette1.jpg

rswabsin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jaco,

Glad you caught some good wind. I was the other guy there sailing with you. That cold rain was a bit of a pain to rig in but once out, it wasn't bad at all. Plus like you said, the water was so nice and warm still - felt good to warm your hands in.

Take Care,
Rob
RSA147

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh I stopped by on my way out with the van to say hi while you derigged but you seemed pretty occupied to get warmed up and I had to rush back to Philly. Was good to have some company while out there!

Cheers,
Jaco
scargo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget about Ocean Gate on NW winds. I've discussed it before, but my feeling is that the Toms River tends to funnel and regulate what are always gusty conditions in NJ. You need to stay pretty much in the middle, where there can be some nice chop.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a real nice launch for northwesterlies (gotta love the street level view on Google Earth). Where do you park and launch? I see a parking lot along the beach on East Bayview Ave. - I'm assuming that's where you launch from?

Rob
RSA147

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scargo, that does look like a great lunch area. Will keep it in mind next time out!

Mind you if it's true NW, it will be gross off ocean side won't it? Does anyone sail ocean side in NW?
scargo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monmouth Avenue works pretty well. I park close to the beach, rig on the lawn of that house on the west side of the street. Provides a nice wind shadow, and it seems like no one is ever there off season.

However, Wildwood Avenue, a couple blocks west (where the big pavilion is) also works, and I've actually found that the wind is slightly better as you head up river. In either case, don't wait too long to jibe, or you could find yourself in lighter conditions (although I've always been able to wait around for a gust to get going again).

Also, although the launch works well on N and NW directions (as well as NE), if the wind is dead W, don't bother--which I usually don't anyway because, no matter where you are, the wind quality is so poor.

Re ocean side on true NW, no, I'm not aware of anyone who does that, or any spots that would work. You'd be asking for trouble, in my opinion.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of anywhere in NJ where folks wave sail on NW wind, except possibly the South tip of Cape May, which is "wave-ish." Realistically the directions that work of ocean sailing in NJ would be N thru NE and then SE thru SW. The other directions are either too onshore or too off shore.

For West winds, you're really looking at bay sailing. Yes, that direction is inherently gusty, but if you go into it with the right mind set, it can be a lot of fun. Rig on the big side, but with a lot of twist so you get the max range from your gear or run with a slightly larger board to get through the lulls and so you have a little extra float for the periods when you come off plane.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: