myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
RAF Supernova 5.9 ( 2000): any comments?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juanlema

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 2:16 pm    Post subject: RAF Supernova 5.9 ( 2000): any comments? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Although I have received a lot of help from the list( particularly from Spyder: thank you!), waterstart is definitely out of question, by now...so , I am seriously considering getting a smaller sail, say a 6.0, to make my way through uphauling less painfull. As my cash is as small as the sail I want, i would prefer not to spend so much on this and this Supernova 5.9 ( 2000 model) is the only sail I found on its range that is used with a 460 mast, so its light and I donthave to buy another mast and as its an old model I maybe could get a better price on it...but I didnt make my mind yet: does anybody has any experience with it?

Thank you.

Juan
rashirley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 12:12 pm    Post subject: RE: RAF Supernova 5.9 ( 2000): any comments? Reply with quote

While searching for a 7.5M sail, the folks at Ismus indicated the SuperNova was a good sail. When I asked them about a SuperSonic which I could buy else where for less money, they said the SuperSonic was an uprated verison of the SuperNova. I got the SuperSonic 7.4M and find it very good in a wide range of wind and very controllable in the gusts. I have been using a long board with a harness and been doing about 50% of my water starts but have not yet learned to use the foot straps. I took my new Tiga 281 out for the first time and the sail perform well as before.

Richard
spyder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 4:33 pm    Post subject: RE: RAF Supernova 5.9 ( 2000): any comments? Reply with quote

Hi Juan -

I got this off the American Windsurfer Test Review 1999 about the SuperNova. They tested the 5.9.
>>>>
Review of Neil Pryde SuperNova
>>>>
The camless SuperNova is an inexpensive sail, so it’s neither as strongly built nor quite as stable as the more expensive V6, and it lacks the shear tip found on the SuperSonic. Travis Lester simply commented that it’s “less stable” than the V6. Travis, however, is quite a skilled sailor who prefers more expensive sails. Still, the SuperNova is a capable sail for the rider who values light weight, easy handling and affordability. It rigs like a wave sail and feels as light as the scale says it is - nearly a pound lighter than the next lightest 6.0. We like it a lot more than last year’s V5, which was lacking in speed and power. This year’s version, by contrast, is competitive with the V6 in performance on a reach. Riders who need a good, light, easy-handling sail at a great price should check this one out.

Size tested 5.9
Mast 460–25
Boom 6’2”
Weight 7.0
Durability C
Downhaul Ease 9
Rig Ease 9.0
Speed 6.0
Power 6.5
Stability 6.0
Waterstart 10.0
Rotation 10.0
Luffability 9.5
Price $369
juanlema

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2000 7:41 am    Post subject: RE: RAF Supernova 5.9 ( 2000): any comments? Reply with quote

Thanks , Richard.

I didnt know the Supersonic was less expensive...anyway, the mast thing counts, I prefer (U$) to stick to my 460 and Ive heard that Supernova is best suited to intermediate sailor ( which is my case)
juanlema

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2000 7:49 am    Post subject: RE: RAF Supernova 5.9 ( 2000): any comments? Reply with quote

Thanks Spyder. Considering my skill level (and my U$ level), I think it will fit nicely.

Juan
RSGIBSON

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2000 3:47 pm    Post subject: RE: RAF Supernova 5.9 ( 2000): any comments? Reply with quote

I receintly got a 6.4 Supernova for when the wind is down, and my experience with it is very similar to the test results: light, easy to rig (with a narrow tip mast, older fathead masts can be a problem, I sprung for a carbon freeride stick, too) and gives reasonable performance. It certainly is not as stable as a cam sail in gusts, but the lightness is a definate plus. If you are going to be uphauling, the weight is a big factor. Overall, it is about what I expected for a budget sail.
juanlema

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2000 8:46 am    Post subject: RE: RAF Supernova 5.9 ( 2000): any comments? Reply with quote

Thanks Ron,

Performance is not my concern right now so I think it would be a good option...

Juan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: