myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Excellent La Ventana Trip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwajack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2000 5:38 pm    Post subject: Excellent La Ventana Trip Reply with quote

Just got back from a 10 day trip to La Ventana during which we got 9 days of wind (primarily in the 5.2 to 5.8 range, for a 190 lbs. advanced sailor), three of which included some decent waves. Great fun and it seems safe to say that the season is ON!

The campground appears to be about 1/2 full, but thats likely to change. I stayed at Captain Kirks, part of the time in the new Pelican Reef facilities with my own room and bathroom. Great views, good accomodations, lots of new gear, and a great staff. One staff member even can give dancing (swing, salsa, etc.) lessons to anyone inclined.

The restaurant on site has really good cooks: Thanksgiving dinner for 30 or so was perfectly done, and the breakfasts and lunches were killer. The wind proved to be too much for the stove at times, and so a windscreen apparently is in the works.

JWAJack
jwajack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 9:08 pm    Post subject: RE: Excellent La Ventana Trip Reply with quote

While not the perfect site for absolute beginners, as the wind generally builds up to a strength that is beyond most beginners capabilities, over the years I have seen a good number of beginners sailing at La Ventana. Basically, the method is that beginners go out in the morning when the wind is light and there are no swells (or no major swells) and stay out until the wind picks up. (If a major El Norte is blowing, the morning session may be limited in time; if only a thermal or minor El Norte is blowing, the light wind time may last until mid-day.) Both my Dad (age 65, 67 & 240 lbs.) and girlfriend have sailed at La Ventana as beginners and enjoyed themselves, and during my last trip a friends wife was out sailing as a beginner. Indeed, when I first went to La Ventana 7 season ago, I was still sailing big boards (160 liters) and only could uphaul, although I could get into the straps and use a harness.

Instruction is available at Captain Kirks, and I believe is available at Ventana Windsurf and Baja Joes. Additionally, the conditions at La Ventana are such that even if you become overpowered you eventually will be pushed to the foot of the bay, as opposed to being pushed out to sea as could happen elsewhere in Baja Sur.

As to alternative locales, I do not know of any other nearby locales that would be better suited for beginners. La Ventana would be better than Los Barrilles for beginners (and indeed, probably is better overall), and the other locataions in Baja Sur tend to present more difficult conditions. (See Mike Godseys discussion of the various sites in the Baja Guide.) Though I do not know of anyone operating a windsurfing concession in La Paz proper, you might be able to arrange for instruction and/or beginner gear to be provided in La Paz bay, which definitely is beginner friendly. Just check with the various La Ventana resort operators, whose contact information is in the Baja Guide/Resorts & B&B section.

JWAJack
hobeck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2000 1:22 am    Post subject: RE: Excellent La Ventana Trip Reply with quote

I am another happy camper back from a Thanksgiving trip to La Ventana. With 9 windy days out of 10 it was even better than my trip right after Xmas a few years ago.

A new section of sandy beach right in front of Captain Kirks campgound makes the launch now even smoother.

Besides all the great sailing:
Good local food at ultra low prices
Warm water (must have been 75+)
Very interesting snorkeling
Plenty of stars at night
patricklp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2000 10:43 pm    Post subject: What's Cap'n Kirk's new setup? Reply with quote

I stayed with the Cap about 7 years ago when he had a place in town and we took the bus to the beach. The sailing was great but the logistics and lodging were about half a star. Whats the new deal like? Sounds like it may be time for a return visit.
gregg_barre

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2000 12:56 pm    Post subject: RE: Excellent La Ventana Trip Reply with quote

How is the water.
Do you need bottled water while in the campers at Captain Kirks? (Leaving on Friday)
jwajack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2000 2:47 pm    Post subject: RE: What's Cap'n Kirk's new setup? Reply with quote

There no longer is a B&B in La Paz (only rooming option in town in through hotels). All accomodations are now at La Ventana on Kirks property north of the campground. The palapa on site is the opening picture in the Windsurfing Magazine story on La Ventana (Dec. 2000 issue).

There are 4 or 5 trailers with water, elec., fridge, stove, plates, cookware, etc. (no solids in the head, however), with a community bathhouse (sep. m/f) with flush toilet and hot showers. There also are 4 rooms at Pelican Reef: 2 with king or queen bed and good views, 2 with 2 twins and all with own sink, toilet and shower. (Ive stayed in both of the big rooms and theyre quite nice. Ive also been happy in the trailers and even camping when everything was full up.) Pelican Reef has attached deck and roof deck (great for sunset and sunrise, though with the big rooms you can see the sunrise from your bed). Pelican Reef is definitely a good call if you have a non-sailing or particular spouse/s.o. or if you want a touch more luxury. (Only downside, no kitchen/stove in the room, but food is plentiful and cheap, esp. with palapa restaurant.)

Gear is all on-site, and the launch is now directly in front of palapa (a small jetty has recreated a sandy beach -- an upstream landowner constructed a big jetty that limited downstream sand deposits).

If you havent been to La Ventana in 7 years, you will be surprised!

Kirks website at www.captainkirks.com has more info; you also can go to the Baja Guide/Resort& B&B section on iWindsurf, which has a link to Kriks, as well as to Ventana Windsurf (run by Steve Winarski/Esteban of Mike Godseys wind diary)and Baja Joes, the two other windsurfing operations in La Ventana.

Its getting into La Ventanas peak season now, so its likely that things will start filling up (from my visit to the shop the other day, the XMAS/New Years period seems pretty packed).

JWAJack
areysen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2000 9:18 pm    Post subject: RE: Excellent La Ventana Trip Reply with quote

I leave Sunday, 24 Dec.... for Pelican and Baja, whales, wind, stars. Thanks for building the adrenalin early!
ALR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: