myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kiteboarding/Windsurfing New Zealand November

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
damel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Kiteboarding/Windsurfing New Zealand November Reply with quote

Does anyone have some advice on places to visit while touring New Zeland. I will have my gear with me.

Plan so far...

South Island
While on the South Island I plan to check out the east coast north of Christchurch and don't think I will be able to make it to the areas near Nelson/Golden Bay. If there is wind on lake Wanaka/Wakatipu while I am passing them awesome but not counting on it.

North Island
Seems like just about every beach is fair game to windsurf/kite at as long as you avoid swimming areas. Was wondering if the east side or west side of the island is windier in November? Right now my plan is to keep an eye on Karikari Peninsula area while visiting bay of islands. Was wondering how gnarly 90 Mile beach on the west coast is in November. Seems like an aggressive spot to sail by yourself while traveling abroad. There also seems to be a ton of spots in Auckland I just need to figure out the best spots for the right wind direction.

Thanks for any advice you have to offer.

DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact Windsurfing New Zealand. They have a Facebook page,
https://www.facebook.com/groups/windsurfingnz/

I believe Auckland has an active windsurfing group, one of them was at the Kona Worlds the past few days and came in 2nd or 3rd in his weight range (Stuart Warman...a really nice guy).

I was in NZ on a Road Scholar tour in January 2015 and rented one afternoon in Dunedin (South Island) from a place that gives lessons on their harbor.
sav1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just returned from 14 days in NZ and then to AU. I had my wife in 'tow' so I had to set an itinerary to circumnavigate both islands which required lots of driving every day.

The windsurfing scene is oddly almost non existent. I knew a friend from Chile who was working and sailing there which helped. BTW, I brought my gear but didn't hit any sailable days.

There are multiple spots around Taranaki and a few good ones in Wellington. Go to windsurf.co.nz for a detailed location guide. There are no trades so the wind direction can change dramatically daily. Be advised that many spots have exposed or not exposed rocks and the tides can change the water level by 2 meters.

The wavesailing scene is on the W coast. Bring a 5.5, 5.0, and 4.5 (75kg) with a floaty wave board. There were 4.0 days in various spots when I was there which my friend sailed. Look at the Taranaki Classic webpage to see how good the conditions were just two weeks ago in Taranaki.

The one revelation that came to me is that I will only bring my kiteboarding gear for my future long range trips. Try to fly Quantas as they only charged me $50 ea way for my 70b bag. Be careful as their affiliates, namely Jetstar, may be an issue. I was initially told on the return flight that I would almost certainly have to ship my gear back by freight as the containers on the plane were too small despite checking prior to my trip. Don't exceed 270cm. Feel free to PM me with questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: