myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2-hour beginner training makes it all wrong
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could cite a number of examples of disillusionment over the years, but one will do, and it nicely makes the point.

When I first took up surfing (boards) it was with a friend. Both of us keen and driven. There was no instruction in those days (early 1960's) so you made it or otherwise under your own initiative.

I was just average, with a longish learning curve, but he, despite his enthusiasm, was hopeless. He COULDN'T get any better whatever he tried to do. Consequently he hated me (I could feel it) and became sadly disillusioned.

All the instruction in the world could not have helped him. He was not cut out for it! The same applies to windsurfing.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Back to the original question! Reply with quote

AndreiA wrote:
Everyone, with all this active participation, almost nothing helps to answer the original question:

How to reduce the number of quitters, who strongly believe in 'practice' but for one reason or another, practice wrong moves, and give up because (quite understandable) 'it's too difficult'?

I think that regardless of what you do, the majority of those who try windsurfing will do it only once or a few times. That's partly because windsurfing actually is a difficult sport. Not learning how to go back and forth in light wind on a huge board - that can be taught in an hour or two. But learning how to plane comfortably, turn around in high wind, and make it back to where you started is not easy. I'm not sure "ideal" beginner gear really helps. Yes, it can make the first steps much easier ... but that can lead to frustration later.

Motivation is a key point to keep at it. For some, a sense of accomplishment is quite motivating. Making the first steps harder instead of easier can increase that sense of accomplishment. The other thing that can help big time is to get a sense of what the addiction is all about - planing. I've seen some never-evers starting to plane within the first day or two, and they looked quite determined to keep at it. I'm not sure how many got the same feeling after puttering around on a 90 cm board with a 3.5 m beginner sail in light wind.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite so Bqardsurf. Perhaps we can add Abraham Lincoln to the discussion -

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves."

And-

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing."

Things which many today seem to think no longer apply!
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to the original question! Reply with quote

AndreiA wrote:
Everyone, with all this active participation, almost nothing helps to answer the original question:

How to reduce the number of quitters, who strongly believe in 'practice' but for one reason or another, practice wrong moves, and give up because (quite understandable) 'it's too difficult'?

Or, simply, how to bring more people to the fun side of windsurfing?

And please, don't argue it's all 'their fault' (i.e. lack of commitment, etc etc.).

The original question seemed to put blame on the 2 hour introduction to windsurfing as taught in Bonaire, which I think muddied the water (the beautiful warm flat shallow Lac Bay Caribbean water.)

Instruction, and encouragement from fellow sailors is how. And more instruction and more encouragement. People who have done the five day (or three day) ABK clinics are familiar with the brand new windsurfer (or sailor who has only done it a few times) who is actually doing well but thinks they suck. They get surrounded by fellow windsurfers who assure the newbie that they're doing way better than they did for just a few sessions etc. Encouragement and more instruction.

dllee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self motivation and determination.
If YOU yourself lack either, no matter instruction or not, you are no good and never will get good.
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Self motivation and determination.
If YOU yourself lack either, no matter instruction or not, you are no good and never will get good.

True that! Windsurfing was the most difficult thing I ever tried to master and if it wasn't for self motivation and raw determination I never would have gotten to where I am now. An expert water starter with a shitty jibe.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT, great quotes from Abraham Lincoln, and of course, you're spot on.

I don't get worried about folks that can't make the windsurfing curve. When it comes down to it, for them it's not fun enough, and they don't have the vision and drive to succeed. I have agree, it's all about self motivation and determination, but I would also add the importance of dedication.

I remember seeing one windsurfer ripping it up on a very windy day back in 1984, and I told myself that I had to be doing that. That day I made a commitment to myself to do everything necessary to make it happen. Like many things in life, you have to work hard to enjoy the fruits of your labor.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
I could cite a number of examples of disillusionment over the years, but one will do, and it nicely makes the point.

When I first took up surfing (boards) it was with a friend. Both of us keen and driven. There was no instruction in those days (early 1960's) so you made it or otherwise under your own initiative.

I was just average, with a longish learning curve, but he, despite his enthusiasm, was hopeless. He COULDN'T get any better whatever he tried to do. Consequently he hated me (I could feel it) and became sadly disillusioned.

All the instruction in the world could not have helped him. He was not cut out for it! The same applies to windsurfing.

Funny enough this describes my attempt to learn (prone) surfing to a T! I'm forever stuck in the raw beginner stage. I was motivated, I had the gear, but my local conditions were so irregular and crappy that I simply couldn't progress.

I recently corresponded with a person locally who started windsurfing at the same time as I did this last summer. He sails at the local club borrowing their gear with their instruction. I sail 99% solo on my own gear. He's made little progress past the beginner stage, I'm working on intermediate stuff. I don't think he's less motivated and his conditions aren't worse. But I do think he lacks both opportunity to sail any time he has available and more importantly he can't use the gear that works best here most of the time (my 9.5m is my most used sail).

Hopefully he'll either borrow gear that works or commit to buying it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: