myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Margarita Travel...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hamblett

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2000 5:19 pm    Post subject: Margarita Travel... Reply with quote

Am planning a trip to Margarita in April/May and was curious of places to stay. Resort hotels at the water front are fine but I was looking for something a little bit cheaper. I found a rental apt. on the NE side of the island for $40/day. From the maps Ive seen though, its a good 30-45 minute drive to the sailing spots on the South side of the island.

Suggestions/Recommendations would be appreciated.

Also, how receptive would any of the resorts be to me bringing my own sails/booms/masts and just rent their boards? Ive purchased some new equipment and want to tune and test it while on the island. I rarely hear of people taking their own gear on vacation with them and would like to discuss the pros/cons with those that do.

Thanks!
spyder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2000 1:55 am    Post subject: RE: Margarita Travel... Reply with quote

when I was there in Margarita, seemed like they wanted to rent me the whole thing.

how about Maui? there you can do what you want for sure. cheap places, and pick n choose what ya want.

As for Margarita, I dont think its set up for what you are thinking, but I could be wrong.
hamblett

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2000 12:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Margarita Travel... Reply with quote

When travelling to margarita, what is the airline of choice when coming from mainland U.S. Not interested in the layover in Caracas (sp?)

Was thinking of Maui but can only do a week as I just started a new job. And coming from the East coast of the US, if I go to maui, Im going to stay for about 1.5-2 weeks. The carribean (sp?) is a much shorter trip.
spyder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2000 1:33 pm    Post subject: RE: Margarita Travel... Reply with quote

here are some places to check out to stay:

http://www.enlared.net/margarita/pages/where_to_stay.htm

as for the airline, its kinda shakey. SeriVensa/Avensa airlines fly from Miami to Margarita, and also to Caracas with a hop to margarita (more flights).

I think you can get to Caracas on a few american carriers (AA, Continental), but you have to fly a local airline to get to Margarita (Avensa).

Yeah you do NOT want to layover in Caracas. And if you connect, be careful of rip-off artists in the terminal.
its crime central there.
panacek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2001 11:15 am    Post subject: RE: Margarita Travel... Reply with quote

Ive been to Margarita 3 times. Once through Caracus, but I recommend against it. Through Apple charter, I was able to get air-only on a flight from Florida to Margarita (originating from Chicago).

Ive stayed at 3 places, and Casa Viento is simple, close by and cheap. I would advise being careful about any valuables though. I think it included a small safe for money. It is a short walk (4 blocks) and includes a simple breakfast. You can book through Sailboard Vacations. I dont think it would be worth it to stay away from the beach. Dinners are also cheap, about $10 for plenty. I also stayed at Hotel California and a beachfront place, which are nicer but obviously more expensive.

It seemed like there were some Europeans there for several weeks that brought their own equipment. I dont know where they kept it though.
lasbrisas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2001 11:54 am    Post subject: RE: Margarita Travel... Reply with quote

You will be able to find a reasonable room in El Yaque in April or May. Most of the hotels drop their rates after April 15th, and there are lots of other places to rent besides the beachfront hotels. Renting on the other side of the island is not cost effective, as you will need to take a taxi or rent a car, which will cost you about $30-$40 /day.

I dont think you will have any problem renting just a board. Call Vela and ask them if they will do this. (we did this in Aruba a few years ago) Or Im sure you can rent a board at Sharks. (the Canadian club) Plus, there are at least 6 other clubs to check with when you get there.

If you want to go on a budget, dont make a reservation and just check things out when you get there. Dont worry, things get very quiet in town after April 15th, so you wont end up sleeping under a palm tree. There will be lots of rooms and equipment to choose from. We love being there in April/May, the wind is really great, and the tourist season is over so it is not crowded on the water. (avoid Easter week if you can, its a BIG Venezuelan holiday week)

There are charter flights from Montreal, Toronto and Chicago, but they usually end in late March or April. American, United, Continental and Delta all fly to Caracas, then there are more than a dozen flights to the island. Just get to Caracas before 6PM, I think the last flight to the island is at 7 or 8 PM. We like to take either the 8:45 AM flight from Miami, or the 11:30 AM flight, that gives you plenty of time to get a flight to the island. There are other routes, you can fly to Barbados or Trinidad, then take the Aeropostal flight direct to Margarita.

Have fun, hope to see you on the water!
annrichey2009@gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2001 9:24 pm    Post subject: RE: Margarita Travel... Reply with quote

I just hooked up with Vela and had a great time in El Yaque and Coche (week each). It was very easy and great sailing. As for gear, the Germans all bring their own stuff with no problem. I just used the resort gear which was very good. Note: Dont go to Coche on a weekend. The beach is a zoo scene and the party boats make windsurfing very difficult.
Dale
rocko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2001 1:17 pm    Post subject: RE: Margarita Travel... Reply with quote

Ive been to Marg. several times and I always stay at Casa Viento in El Yaque, it is not on the beach but a very short walk to it, has great views, atmosphere, breakfast and you dont have to use rented gear though unless you are staying for mor than 2 weeks it is hardly worth the hassel to bring gear. Check it out at www.casaviento.windsurf.com and tell them Mike Rockwell sent you. good luck, Mike... rockwell@gorge.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: