myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Heyo! Thanks again to you all for your help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derikthin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Heyo! Thanks again to you all for your help! Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've posted on here. Kid's, wife and Life. I only got out this summer about 5-8 times. Either there was not enough wind (I'm talking dead, because I'm not picky at all) or we had other summer plans, you all know the drill.

I went out yesterday. Got the ol' winter suit on. And while I was out I kept thinking about the advice and help you all have given me thus far and really appreciate it.

-I did not get the chance to do the ABK clinic this year =(. It was a battle between time and money and the combination of both (along with stern looks from wife) kept me away from it. I'm going to hope for next year. It's the one real regret I have from this year.

-The wind was probably the strongest I've seen at Sandy hook (that I've actually had the privilege to witness) and the smallest sail I had was a 5.0. The wind I think was 20's ish-- upper twenties maybe (MPH) I weigh 193lbs.

Well the long and short was that I didn't feel comfortable ripping on the board to far from shore, as there was no one else there and also that I didn't want to get into a situation that I would regret or would put an un-do negative influence on the local Windsurfing population.

So I took the opportunity to practice my water starts. And I actually did it about 3 times. /pats self on back.

Two pointers I've been given that really are 100% true (to me) are
A) Keeping your front arm straight is surprisingly super important and makes it way easier.
B) Keeping my hands further away from the mast on the boom vastly improves my success rate.

So I made the best out of conditions that were way to strong for me and learned a bunch.

My left knee started to hurt me eventually when water starting. When I was getting pulled up and trying to tuck that back leg under my arse it was hurtin. So hopefully with some stretching and such it will not be an issue.

So a big thank you to you all again for the advice and tips and moral support. I had to tell someone about my adventures because when I tell the Mrs's she don't care lol =).

OH! One more thing. I finally got Hooked in with my harness mid-late summer and it was Amaze-balls. I mean I don't have to tell you guys how awesome/important it is but... whoa. I was ripping so fast and Was able to look around while speeding along.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Heyo! Thanks again to you all for your help! Reply with quote

Greetings Derik.

Two things I might suggest are:

Get it all out in the open with your wife, and do that up front. It might not
be easy, but if she's staring daggers at you now, either your windsurfing
career will be short lived or your marriage will be. Negotiate what your
goals and aims are. It's not an easy thing to do, but it'll be much less costly in the long run, and don't assume it's over once negotiated, because
things in life change.

You can water start off either leg, going either direction, so if you've got
one knee giving you trouble, use the other leg for a while no matter which
side of the board you're on. And of course continue stretching and
strengthening especially quads and hamstrings of both legs to help you
combat knee pain. It's handy to have a strong core for waterstarting also,
that takes some strain off your knees.

Good luck, and keep that stoke alive,

-Craig

Derikthin wrote:
It's been a while since I've posted on here. Kid's, wife and Life. I only got out this summer about 5-8 times. Either there was not enough wind (I'm talking dead, because I'm not picky at all) or we had other summer plans, you all know the drill.

I went out yesterday. Got the ol' winter suit on. And while I was out I kept thinking about the advice and help you all have given me thus far and really appreciate it.

-I did not get the chance to do the ABK clinic this year =(. It was a battle between time and money and the combination of both (along with stern looks from wife) kept me away from it. I'm going to hope for next year. It's the one real regret I have from this year.

-The wind was probably the strongest I've seen at Sandy hook (that I've actually had the privilege to witness) and the smallest sail I had was a 5.0. The wind I think was 20's ish-- upper twenties maybe (MPH) I weigh 193lbs.

Well the long and short was that I didn't feel comfortable ripping on the board to far from shore, as there was no one else there and also that I didn't want to get into a situation that I would regret or would put an un-do negative influence on the local Windsurfing population.

So I took the opportunity to practice my water starts. And I actually did it about 3 times. /pats self on back.

Two pointers I've been given that really are 100% true (to me) are
A) Keeping your front arm straight is surprisingly super important and makes it way easier.
B) Keeping my hands further away from the mast on the boom vastly improves my success rate.

So I made the best out of conditions that were way to strong for me and learned a bunch.

My left knee started to hurt me eventually when water starting. When I was getting pulled up and trying to tuck that back leg under my arse it was hurtin. So hopefully with some stretching and such it will not be an issue.

So a big thank you to you all again for the advice and tips and moral support. I had to tell someone about my adventures because when I tell the Mrs's she don't care lol =).

OH! One more thing. I finally got Hooked in with my harness mid-late summer and it was Amaze-balls. I mean I don't have to tell you guys how awesome/important it is but... whoa. I was ripping so fast and Was able to look around while speeding along.
Derikthin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wife has been really cool with me so far. I've spent a bunch of money and time and she's been a trooper. She just doesn't get excited or really have any care to hear about my advances haha.
We also usually make it a family outing during the summer. We love each other and I don't think it will become an issue. She's also not bashful so I'd get an earful before it came to anything terrible.

It was so windy that I was practing water starting one way up the beach and then when I got far enough I'd start practicing the other way. When going downwind and my knee started to hurt/cramp up I just beach started.

I was bummed there was no one else out and about. I thought for sure I'd see a bunch of the usual folks. The plus side was no one was there to see me fail over and over again, lol so no pressure =).
pmlct

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derik, I think you did just fine for your first season. There are so many obstacles that need to be overcome when learning this sport and you pulled it off nicely. Next year you will start the season as an intermediate and have the entire season to progress your skills. Try to get down to Hatteras in the spring and you will likely see more wind in a week than all summer up here. For now it is just too cold for me.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice pmict! Unless one wants to sail through winter here in the northeast, warm weather brings with it light winds. A week in a consistently windy warm location will improve your skills immensely.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

April in South padre island. Lots of wind 75 degree water 80 air.. When I asked my wife to spend the rest of her life with me, I told her about my addiction to the sport before she answered. Its be 30 years and windsurfing has taken us both to incredible places. It doesn't need to be all windsurfing all the time. Just make sure there are things for her to do. Teach her to windsurf. Better yet take her some place warm, shallow and breezy and get her pro lessons...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: