myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Traveling to Margarita with a toddler?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tony89

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2001 1:33 am    Post subject: Traveling to Margarita with a toddler? Reply with quote

Has anyone done it do they recommend it?

Will my 19 month son be ticked off on a crappy beach or will he be building sandcastles?

Is it safe and fun or just too much of a hassle?

Also for those with cruise ship/shopping wives, is this place gonna be fun for her or will she feel like I dragged her to Baja?

thanks
spyder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2001 1:38 am    Post subject: RE: Traveling to Margarita with a toddler? Reply with quote

wow, risky!
Margarita is pretty hard core sailing. The wind blows pretty strong, so I dont know if the beach will be that relaxing to anyone NOT sailing.

IMHO, if they cant deal with a windy beach with no shops to spend money in, well...think twice.

You know I think they would LOVE ARUBA, and so would you.
tony89

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2001 1:08 pm    Post subject: RE: Traveling to Margarita with a toddler? Reply with quote

I know Margarita is supposed to be side shore...are there no protected mellow areas for kids to hangout?

I used to live on Maui so my definition of hardcore is Hookipa. Aruba didnt raise my BP, Curacao was fun on the outside but the equiptment sucked and St Martin had good equiptment, a nude beach and was really big on the outside. I married now though:-P You sound like an experienced sailor and who has sailed many places. Is Margarita a good expert spot?

We will have a car. Are there malls on Margarita or will I have to ship her to Aruba to shop?
tony89

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2001 1:08 pm    Post subject: RE: Traveling to Margarita with a toddler? Reply with quote

I know Margarita is supposed to be side shore...are there no protected mellow areas for kids to hangout?

I used to live on Maui so my definition of hardcore is Hookipa. Aruba didnt raise my BP, Curacao was fun on the outside but the equiptment sucked and St Martin had good equiptment, a nude beach and was really big on the outside. I married now though:-P You sound like an experienced sailor and who has sailed many places. Is Margarita a good expert spot?

We will have a car. Are there malls on Margarita or will I have to ship her to Aruba to shop?
spyder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2001 7:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Traveling to Margarita with a toddler? Reply with quote

Margarita is generally strong wind with decent ramps, B&J conditions.

Hardcore, meaning, sail or do nothing else. As for the conditions, there might be waves somewhere on Margarita, but I stayed in the main sailing area, which was B&J.

Not much there to do, except eat. Since I went there to sail, I dont know about the shopping, but it certainly isnt near the windsurfing area. Something struck me that it is a bit crime ridden in the local areas (where the shops might be), so watch out tourists!

I just wonder *how* a non-sailor would enjoy Margarita. Unless they dont mind hanging out on a windy beach. (Again I have no idea if there are sheltered beaches that are considered tourist friendly).
wander2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2001 10:09 pm    Post subject: RE: Traveling to Margarita with a toddler? Reply with quote

Depends on tolerance levels of all parties.
El Yaque had palapas, snack bar, and loungers for rent when I was there (95?). Go early to stake your claim or be out in sand blast area. Youd definitely have to go to town for shopping (treasures and trash)and dining variety. I personally would NOT take a non-sailing friend, unless I knew they were INTO the SA culture and history. As for sailing- might have been that particular 2 weeks, but it was mostly just short stiff chop. Heard rumour of a site with waves- but never actually SAW them, or met anyone who had. My $ and time has been better spent back in Maui. good luck
lasbrisas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2001 7:15 pm    Post subject: RE: Traveling to Margarita with a toddler? Reply with quote

You are so wrong about Margarita. There is tons of stuff to do besides windsurf. Thats like saying there is nothing to do on Maui because you never left the beach at Kanaha.

Porlamar, a 25 minute cab ride from El Yaque, offers great shopping. Every designer you can think of has a shop there (Polo, Versace, Tommy Hilfliger, etc) Then there is the shopping with the locals at Plaza bolivar, lots of bargains to be had. I have walked around both areas by myself dozens of times and never felt unsafe, the locals are very friendly.

There are lots of kids hanging out at the beach in El Yaque. It is easy to find a place to sit out of the wind, and the water is shallow near shore so a toddler can have lots of fun.

The beauty of El Yaque is the BIG winds generally dont come up until the afternoon. Lets you play tourist with the family in the AM, then get in a great session on the water in the PM. (Or, you can send them off on the numerous guided tours from town, and sail all day)

Margarita is not expert only conditions. It is solid bump and jump, some big swells on the outside, no breaking waves. Winds 18 - 35 knots. Just fun, fun, fun!!
tony89

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2001 11:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Traveling to Margarita with a toddler? Reply with quote

Now that is what I was looking for.....some positive info:-)

We will have a car and we like to explore. Im not one to just hang at the windsurfing beach (if its not blowing) on an island that I havent visited before.

You make it sound like there alot of potential non windsurfing adventures on Margarita. Any additional info would be appreciated.

Thanks Las Brisas
spyder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2001 3:02 am    Post subject: RE: Traveling to Margarita with a toddler? Reply with quote

thanks for the info on Margarita. I am pretty narrow minded when it comes to windsurfing vacations, so I just windsurfed when I was there. I didnt see anything close that resembled shopping or anything but grinds, beer, and sailing. I have to say, it was some of the best wind I have had.

oh about Maui, is there anything else to do besides windsurf? Wink
lasbrisas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2001 6:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Traveling to Margarita with a toddler? Reply with quote

For more info on Margarita, check out these web sites:
www.casaviento.com (go to Alt.activities)
www.velawindsurf.com (Margarita section)
www.margaritaonline.com
www.margarita-island

If you have any questions, e-mail me at lasbrisas@home.com. I spend as much time as I can in Margarita, in fact well be leaving soon for a 3 month stay. See you on the water!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: