myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Florida Panhandle/Tallahassee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jada

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2001 10:29 pm    Post subject: Florida Panhandle/Tallahassee Reply with quote

Im going to Tallahassee area in Florida February 15. Looking to sail and camp a few days after business. What about St. George Island or any other areas near there?
jybeme09

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2001 11:32 pm    Post subject: RE: Florida Panhandle/Tallahassee Reply with quote

They have a windsurf club in Tallahassee. I think they go to Apalachicola bay to windsurf. Be sure to bring a 5/3 wetsuit because the water is cold.
grdiehl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2001 2:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Florida Panhandle/Tallahassee Reply with quote

The best windsurfing is at Shell Point about 20 miles south of Tallahassee. There is a great club in the area and they have good website. I think its the Shell Point Sailboard Club or something like that. I never tried sailing the St. George Island area and not many people do. You could try it but you had better locate the oyster bars first. I did sail once in St. Joe Bay which is a little bit further west. You can launch from the State Park on the St. Joe Peninsula (also known as Cape San Blas). Although this is Florida, be prepared for cold water and maybe cold weather in February. There is good camping at St. George Island State Park (both drive in and hike in) but if you want to do and overnight backpacking trip St. Joe Peninsula State Park is nicer.
Good luck!!
jada

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2001 5:59 pm    Post subject: RE: Florida Panhandle/Tallahassee Reply with quote

Thanks!!! I have reservations at St. Joe State Park. Also saw the Web site for Shell Point. Ill probably try Shell Point one day and work my way west. Others have said St. Joe Bay is very nice - clear water, sand, shallow.
jada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 9:40 am    Post subject: RE: Florida Panhandle/Tallahassee Reply with quote

Well, I made my trip. Ended up camping at St. Joe Peninsula State Park. Great camping area. Sailing bay-side or gulf. I just sailed the bay. Two days by myself in 8.0 winds, from 6 to 15 MPH. The bay is really clear water, so you can see the shallow areas. Firm sand everywhere. The launch is kind of sheltered, so winds are gusty near shore.

Last day there, wind came up to 12 to 22. I sailed all day on a 6.0 and Mistral Wave Score. 5 other guys were there from Tallahassee. NW wind was a great direction. Water about 65 degrees, are about 68 degrees, not a cloud in the sky.

Nice location, saves me 6 hours compared to driving all the way to south Florida.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: