myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Am I the only one who hates Aruba?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dasher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2001 10:19 pm    Post subject: I love Aruba Reply with quote

Well I must say I am a bit tentative about writing on the net about Aruba. The last thing I want to do is get any more hate mail my way. Hate is such a strong word. Whewweeeee.

I am a bit biased on this subject seeing as I have been living in Aruba for 11 years. I have had the oppurtunity to teach and make friends from all over the world through windsurfing. I could never give back to windsurfing what it has given to me.

At the Vela Windsurf school we have introduced about 12.000 people to the sport of windsurfing over the last 6 years. I cant put into words how great it has been to see so many smiling faces gliding over this waist deep clear blue puddle on 2.5 trainer sails. People who have never been on a board before totally stoked. This is just the beginners.

I have met avid windsurfers who came down single one year then they came back on a honeymoon, then with a baby, then with a small child and another baby. I have seen families grow and come back to celebrate life and windsurfing year after year after year.

This week at Vela we have about 50 guests.
I know every single person from multiple previous vacations. There will be a great windsurfing party tommorrow night with local sailors and guests from all over the world. People will eat great food, smile and make new friends. The dress code does not include shoes and your favorite windsurfing t-shirt is formal wear.

The sailing is what you make of it. When the wind occasionally drops I go and sail a long board and love working on my freestyle. When West Punt is logo to mast high and side off, I sail a bit, then video the crew sailing til sunset. In the spring and summer Boca Grande offers daily side on-shore wave sailing that is pretty darn fun.

The Huts. The Huts can be gusty and yes it is off shore.But the Huts are about as close to a ski school set up as you can find. During the same class period you will find beginners learning on the green runs close to shore. Footstraps and waterstarts are going off 75 yards out on the blue runs and jibes are being completed for the first time just another 100 yards out.

Casual dining? Lings chinese is as casual and friendly as it gets. Again shoes optional. Cafe the Plazas $8.00 shoarma is cheap outdoor dining at its best. Hadicari Fishermans BAR offers fresh fish off the boat for $10.00. You can sit at a table with your feet in the sand.

Well I have some friends visiting from New Orleans visiting and I gotta run.

Be Happy wherever and whenever you get to sail.

Dasher
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: