myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Dealing With What Ails Us
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurgle said:
Quote:
But in Techno's case, there is an issue which is harder to regulate, and neither use nor rest is likely to alter things. But I wonder if the condition is being aggravated by using big sails on fast formula and slalom boards, which do put a big strain on the body. Wouldn't settling for smaller freeride gear perhaps relieve some of the overwork strain?

While riding the bigger stuff is more demanding physically, I was on my race sails 7.6 and up with bigger boards just 9 times out of 35 total days. Living 3.5 hours away from good wind is less than ideal. I did have a few more opportunities to get on my 9.2 or 11.0 with the formula board, but I chose to skip the slog/plane/slog/plane days at my home lake.

Settling for smaller freeride gear is desirable, but the opportunities are limited. This past year, I did take quite a bit of vacation time that also conflicted with the best windsurfing seasons, but it wasn't all bad.

I doubt that I am straining anything regardless of what board/sail I am on. There is more pounding on the slalom and formula boards than the smaller ones, and that could be an issue with my hip, but only one ride in the last 6 months on that gear should be an issue.

I will manage the best I can and see how it plays out over time. And for those longboard / cruising enthusiasts, I am not ready for that route just yet.
Awalkspoiled

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several people have mentioned Meloxicam and I thought I’d give you my experience. I was taking a boatload of over the counter NSAIDs and my doctor recommended that I switch to one 7.5mg Meloxicam which helped tremendously with my lower back pain (broken pelvis on a snowy overpowered 3.7 day on Cape Cod in October of 1993 lead to chronic S-L awfulness and osteoarthritis). However, after a year on the new drug my creatinine numbers went up enough that they’ve told me NO NSAIDS forever. There’s kidney disease on both sides so I’m higher risk than most. They told my my kidneys would last out my life as long as i didn’t “insult" them anymore. So, it’s a wonder drug alright but just make sure your kidneys are tolerating it.

I’m now on Tramadol and Prednisone but the Prednisone scares me, although so far I’ve had no ill effects.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
While riding the bigger stuff is more demanding physically

Depends on how ya do it. Are the wave riders working any less than the racerhedz? I often get just as winded slashing the swell as I do sprinting flat out with a heart rate of 160 on an elliptical or treadmill.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awalkspoiled wrote:
I’m now on Tramadol and Prednisone but the Prednisone scares me, although so far I’ve had no ill effects.

BOTH of them scare the heck out of me.
I'm sure you've Googled their SEs and risks.
underwood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoga has worked wonders for me. Also, check out a book called "Pain Free" by Pete Egoscue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: