myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
RV and Racks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
valkgal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2001 1:58 am    Post subject: RV and Racks Reply with quote

Im always a couple years behind, but I finally got my $4000 RV which will keep the wife and kid(s) comming for at least another year. Now the challenge is, how do I get all my stuff attached. Dragging boards off the top of the towering monstrocity seems like a suicide run. Has anyone seen any sort of bumper rack system that allows for easy access?

Thanks, mike
H2Oratt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2001 5:20 pm    Post subject: RE: RV and Racks Reply with quote

hi Mike,
a few years ago i saw a rack for long surfboards that went on the back on an RV. the boards were stood up on the tail, like you might see in a shop. ill look for the company.
bob
valkgal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2001 6:55 pm    Post subject: RE: RV and Racks Reply with quote

Great Bob, I appreciate that. That will save me from learning how to weld.

Mike
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2001 1:58 pm    Post subject: RE: RV and Racks Reply with quote

One sees many RVs with boards stored vertically on the back bumper along the Columbia River. Some are open-air, some enclosed. Some are wood, some angle iron, some fancy aluminum. Some guys weld their own, some use nuts & bolts, some pay others to do the welding. Some start with commercially available platforms that plug into the trailer hitch or mount on frame rails, others are home-made or shop-fabricated. One guy had a giant frame that pivoted open to the ground to load/unload and back up to the roof of his BIG camper for travel ... balanced so well he used one hand to operate it.

Just another good reason to come to the Gorge; the land of ingenuity. Theres no END to the variety of clever gear-carrying ideas one can find here in mid-summer.

Mike \m/
valkgal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2001 1:24 am    Post subject: RE: RV and Racks Reply with quote

Good to remember Mike. The gorge will indeed be my main destination, as I have recently moved to the tricities. I like that idea of the great swinging gismo. I was imagining some soft of roller along the edge of the roof that moved some kind of frame down. One thing is for sure, climbing up and down that steep later with a board in my hand would be more dramatic than looping.

Mike g
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: