myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui for beginner/intermediate sailors in February?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teleclimber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Maui for beginner/intermediate sailors in February? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

What is Maui like for non-expert windsurfers in February? I read the guides that say the wind is less reliable and waves potentially much bigger but I can't really build a picture of what to expect.

My better half is still in the beginner/intermediate stage (planing in straps and in harness and waterstarting OK, and she is trying to learn to jibe) so she would like to stay out of the breaks (unless they're small). I guess lower Kanaha offers that, but what if the wind is from the South? Would Kihei be OK then since any swell is more likely to be from the North?

We realize that we won't be able to sail every day because of the wind and that's OK, but I want to make sure that on days we can sail it's comfortable and enjoyable for her (and me too).

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks!
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tradewinds are from the east and blow regularly most seasons except winter where there could be eastern tradewinds but the wind could also be coming from the north or no real wind at all. South and west winds are called Kona winds and are not very common.
In short, during the long summer you can nearly guarantee East side shore tradewinds but in February who knows? Maybe tons of rain or maybe like a summer day but most likely lighter winds unless it's blowing a storm out of the north to northeast.
Waves likely larger when there is a swell but if no swell or wind it can be flat calm in the winter like it never is in the summer because there is nearly always a wind swell out of the NE during the long summer.
gerritt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just have to go look at it and make your call. If its good, there are many shops minutes from the beach to rent gear.

In 1986, I went for the first time on my honeymoon in January. I was not water starting or planning in the straps and had no high wind jibe. I had just moved back to the bay area from college, where I had learned to windsurf on the delta. So, I had pretty solid longboard skills and could uphaul in most anything and tack and jibe a longboard. I had just sold my One Design for an Alpha high wind board.

On Maui, I went to Kanaha, looked, and noted it was breaking outside, but relatively flat inside. I went to the shop and rented a 10' high wind board that I thought I'd be able to uphaul and maybe learn my waterstarts. On that first day, I got my first deepwater beach starts. I'd blast out toward the break, hooked in, and trying to get my feet in the straps. I'd try to jibe, fall, and then try to water start. Then, I'd uphaul and make my way back, landing downwind of where I started. I also did a Kihei day.

What I learned:
How to head carry my gear back up the beach for the walk of shame.
At Kihei - my first water start!
That I wanted to sail in waves.

By the next summer, I had nailed my water starts, completed my first jibes, figured out how to get in the footstraps (which were miles back from the mast track on those old boards) without rounding up, and ventured into the summer waves at Waddell.

So, my advice - take her to the beach for a look see. Encourage her to give it a go. Point out the downwind safe zone. Make sure she turns before getting all the way to the breaking waves. Tell her to relax while down and watch whats going in in the waves and around her (to make her hungry for more). And - be prepared to caddy her gear back up the beach - unless she wants to head carry her gear on her own.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maui is a must do for any windsurfer. That said it is off season for wind. Windsurfing travel is always a gamble. Its always best to go to a windy place in the windy season. World Winds in Texas and SPI are great places to get some higher wind skills down. late march and April are the months to go.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

February is going to be iffy for wind. It can easily go a few weeks with winds of 10 kts or less. And the waves can get huge at Kanaha so pay attention to surf reports. You can stay inside the reef when it gets big but the side-shore current also increases so you have to be aware of that. Kihei (south side) will be flat water but it will also be iffy for wind in Feb. Surfing and SUP'ing should be good though.
jse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to Maui in February, ask a local to point out where the weird wave is. It's pretty obvious once you know where it is, but what it does is not so obvious. At first glance it looks like a surfable wave, but it's usually not. It breaks straight into the wind, there is a current that pulls you into the wave and the fact that it breaks into the wind often cancels the wind at the surface you need to water start and get the hell out of there. You can get rolled 5 or 6 times before it spits you out. It occupies a short section of the sailing area, is not a factor in the summer, but in the winter you should stay well away from it. Locals call it the triangle, perhaps in reference to the Bermuda Triangle.

Steve
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest benefit is February is very cheap on Maui. The later you go in February the higher the odds for wind. If you're only going to be there for a week in February, it might be best to rent to you. If you were going between June and October I'd say bring your own. You can decide on gear 1 day ahead of your flight. If weather reports csll for a week of wind, bring your gear.
carl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
Biggest benefit is February is very cheap on Maui. The later you go in February the higher the odds for wind. If you're only going to be there for a week in February, it might be best to rent to you. If you were going between June and October I'd say bring your own. You can decide on gear 1 day ahead of your flight. If weather reports csll for a week of wind, bring your gear.

Flying with your gear now a days is a very big hassle, and expensive. You'll also need to get it to and from the airport with those huge bags.
There's plenty of rental gear on Maui even in Jun-Oct. There's 6 shops within a short drive to Kanaha. Book a WS rental in advance and there's no worries. No wind days, you are not charged for them, or rent a SUP or surf board.
February is not cheep for accommodations though, all of winter is high season there. Sept and October is low season with the cheapest accommodation rates.
loosescrew

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

February is usually big waves on North shore and light wind. We will see strong Kona winds which makes kihei fun and more like Gorge conditions on the ocean. We just had two strong kona wind days here. Usually there is a bigger shore break with strong Konas. You can always stay inside the break at Kanaha as mentioned but need to pay attention to the current and yes, Weird Wave is noticeable so stay away if you can as the channel below will pull you outside the reef.
jse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loosescrew wrote:
February is usually big waves on North shore and light wind. We will see strong Kona winds which makes kihei fun and more like Gorge conditions on the ocean. We just had two strong kona wind days here. Usually there is a bigger shore break with strong Konas. You can always stay inside the break at Kanaha as mentioned but need to pay attention to the current and yes, Weird Wave is noticeable so stay away if you can as the channel below will pull you outside the reef.

Hey loose, I have never sailed Kihei on a Kona. Is it worth the drive from Haiku? Where are the best launches - same as on a north? And when it's gusting in the upper 30's like IW has reported, what is it like, gusty as hell like Kihei on a north or more consistent?

Thanks, Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: