myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Do newer wave boards float better then old

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Do newer wave boards float better then old Reply with quote

Do old wave boards say1990s have less bouyantcey then newer boards 2000+ of the same volume.I find my 90s wave board does not float as Well as i wanted considering i am light weight and am havng trouble staying a float with my 100l with a 5m sail standing in the middle not planing.I am just learning has to use the wave.I have felt very confortable using my 130l tacking/jibing and planing in the straps.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The buoyant force is calculated strictly on volume of the object and the density of the fluid which it displaces. This is to say, the buoyant force is a fixed quantity, given the same volume (same board) and the same fluid (same body of water). If you take the same board on a really salty body of water, you’ll have more buoyant force, due to the greater density of the water.
What can change is the force acting against the buoyant force: weight. If your 90’s board has a ding that has caused it to take on water, it’ll weigh more and appear to have less buoyancy, but that’s not the case. Then of course…..you may have taken on some weight (over the years), which will also seem to affect buoyancy.

atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My board had not taken on water but i Think the fact that poly boards like mine are a bit heaver then epoxy but more durable.I Think the next gen boards have a good balence of epoxy and fiberglass from what I read.So durability and light wight.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, the buoyancy is a function of volume and overall weight (board + rig + rider).

It's entirely possible that the stated volume on the board is slightly off from the actual volume. It's also possible that the volume distribution may make one board "feel" like it has more or less floatation than another (early 90's boards had volume forward, late 90's boards had volume aft, later boards have more centralized volume).

But all else being equal, the age / era of the board has no impact on flotation, it is strictly dictated by volume & weight.

sm
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the static side of the issue. When moving (the dynamic side of the issue), even very slowly, width starts to matter. Today's fatter tails will support more weight than yesteryear's smaller (narrower and thinner) tails at any speed, and today's wider midsections are likely to plane earlier. Then at the other, full-speed side, that extra tail width can show its downside with excess dynamic flotation ... i.e., bounce and poorer control in chop. Like the other 947 tradeoffs in this sport, there is no clear winner.

Your issue also includes sail size choice. If you're not planing, you're short on volume, width, skill, and/or fin, but most likely on POWER. Also, 100 L is significantly smaller/less floaty than 130 L ... in fact 30.000 kilograms less (statically) floaty if both boards weigh the same. Lastly, older does not equate to poly vs epoxy. Both have been around since at least the 1970s, not even counting surfboards.

One rigorous board testing magazine tried for years to find a way/number/conversion factor to compare Stubbys/shortwides to Trad(itional)s. They gave up; the concepts are just too different. Both have their pros and cons, so neither can be declared "superior" without a set of criteria.

Throw more power into the mix and you'll start enjoying the smaller board immediately IF there's enough wind for it. You can always work on skills, fin selection, pumping, efficiency, etc. later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: