myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need info on Bolanos Bay, Costa Rica

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2001 5:55 pm    Post subject: Need info on Bolanos Bay, Costa Rica Reply with quote

Would like to know more about sailing spots on the Pacific side, Has annyone been there in late Mar or early April?

General info and/or contacts would be greatly apprciated.
gwilstein

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2001 1:14 am    Post subject: RE: Need info on Bolanos Bay, Costa Rica Reply with quote

I went to Bolanos Bay Feb. 1999, it blew usually 5.0-5.5, its a big protected circular bay, the wind there blows off shore, but at the sailing site its pretty much straight onshore. Not a good place for beginners, too onshore. You have to be able to get on a board sail through some small onshore chop and go upwind immediately. If you do not have those skills you will probably have a tough time. It bump and jump sailing, no waves, and can be 4.5 windy. The people are very friendly all over CR. I would suggest a car to tour, a surfboard if you surf, a fishing pole, dont miss Lake Araneal,its very beautiful, and you should see the volcano erupt....I cant wait to return to CR...enjoy your trip
jgda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2001 11:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Need info on Bolanos Bay, Costa Rica Reply with quote

We sailed 3 corners last Spring in late March.

As the other folks have said, it is on-shore wind with an Island in front o 3 corners creating a windshadow. As well, once you get out, you will need to get far enough out to miss a dead-wind area created by a cliff on the shore. Once you get passed the Island and this spot and out into the Bay, the sailing is not bad, but not great. It tends to be pretty gusty. We sailed 4.0 to 6.5 over the course of a week. The swell was maybe 4 feet tops, but for the most part maybe 1-2 feet. Getting the right board/sail is a pain. The shop affiliated with 3 corners makes you pick a board for the whole week. IF there is another board available, you can use it. I never had the right board.

3 corners lodge is ok. I must say the food was indeed great. I wasnt sure about the all-inclusive, but it was really good. Everyone there was very nice.

It is a MAJOR pain to get from the main road/town down to 3 corners. It took us 40 minutes the first time. We reduced this to about 25. However, we sustained 3 flat tires. It is very arid there, but in about an hour you can get up to the rain forest for a horse ride or walk.

Lake Arenal is not any better with regard to equipment, but the sailing can be better in my opinion. As well, it is not as arid, and you are a bit closer to seeing other interesting sites. The thing about Costa Rica is, it is hard to get anywhere due to the roads. If you accept this, it is a wonderful place to visit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: