myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Baja car rental
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andydavis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Baja car rental Reply with quote

I'm flying to SJD on the 13th, and plan to rent a car to drive up to Los Barriles. The car rental in Mexico seems opaque to me. The rental agents try to upsell insurance that I'm pretty sure I don't need. There's the mandatory$15/ liability insurance, but if you try and decline the collision and damage, then they insist on debiting your credit card for something like thousands of dollars...I've never been able to get around this. Is anyone aware of a FAQ for getting a good deal on renting a car?
windsrf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

I always use the Vela van, which is $100 round trip. Even if you aren't staying/working with them I'd suggest contacting. Once we are there, walking around town almost always suffices.

I've rented cars many times in Cabo and experienced exactly the same hassles you describe, in spite of documenting that my credit card covers insurance and I don't need extras. They just say "sorry".

David
andydavis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windsrf wrote:
Andy,

... that my credit card covers insurance and I don't need extras. They just say "sorry".

David

I've had many exasperating sessions with the rental agents...I suspect that they don't get much of a salary, and have to make their money by upselling and claiming non existent damage.
loopless

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever work this out, let me know too. The car rental from Thrifty for my last trip to La Ventana was probably the most expensive car rental I ever had. I was with family and we wanted to drive to La Paz and have a look around , not be dumped in La Ventana by a van.

It's a classic case of ripping off the tourists - they need to get a clue that it just leaves a bad feeling that you are getting hosed. I've rented cars all over the world and renting from SJD was the worst - they were nice and friendly, but it was a case of bend over and take it.....
kiterperson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: rental car Reply with quote

I rented from MEX Rent a Car in 2014 which turned out to be Fox in Cabo and it was o.k. but not without issues. Before going, I contacted my credit card company (VISA) and they sent me proof that I had CDW (collision damage waiver insurance) which I physically presented to FOX at the time of rental. It got me off the hook for the 15.99 a day charge. I was still hit with airport tax (7%), and roadside assistance (2.99 per day) liability 14.99 per day, and IVA tax 16%. (airport tax, roadside, and IVA were listed as "included in rate" but that didn't happen even though I argued and showed proof) Make sure you check the car with their employee before diving off and get them to write something for you to take with you to document any issues. Barilles is such a small town - a car is not really needed but nice to have if it's your first trip. Good luck!
windsrf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take photos of car, before & after.

Bottom line is that you are stuck if they refuse to rent to you without taking their extras, proof of coverage doesn't matter.

Agree re not needing a car in LB.
windfind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

I have researched the Mecican insurance situation for the Baja Guide for 30 years. Their law is very quirky and insurance works differently down here. For example one of the critical aspects of their insurance is providing for the quick arrival of a lawyer.

The bottom line is that NO USA insurance policy be it your regular company or a credit card will cover you in Baja for liability. If anyone tells you differently it means they don't know Mexican liability law. Run don't walk from these sources. Even the major car rental agencies have not found a way around this issue. Hence the apparent insurance "rip off" when you rent a car.

Even if you get a Mexican liability policy through Vagabundos in Rio Vista the car rental agencies will probably not accept it since it would not cover damage to their car.

Given all of this you have two choices 1. go with the cheapest rental you can find and live with the liability insurance cost. Take this option if family wants to see the Los Cabo's etc. tourist scene or if want to checkout La Ventana 2. Just take a shuttle since almost everything is within walking distance at LB and La Ventana. This is a good option if windsurfing or kiting is your only goal.

Incidentally if this is your first trip take a look at the archives for the last 6 weeks and ponder.

Mike Godsey
iWindsurf.com
windsrf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Excellent analysis. My remaining question is I've understood that main problem with accidents and Mexican law is that it followed the Napoleonic Code, which assumes you are guilty until proven innocent. That's why an immediate legal presence is essential - first choice of officials is to take you to jail.

However, I also understood that their judicial system was changing to "normal" as of 1-2 years ago. Maybe that is still a work in progress?

Cheers, David
windfind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

That is correct but the shift from Napoleonic law to something more akin to British Common Law is happening very gradually and the cop on the beat may not be aware of these legal niceties yet.

When you get your Mexican policy copy down the phone number since in an accident you want that lawyer on the scene gathering evidence NOW not after your scenic tour of the local jail.

Get that Mexican policy and consider it money well spent. Don't hassle the poor car rental rep. They hate that insurance quirk as much as you do since they have to explain it incredulous gringos all day long.

Mike Godsey
IW
windsrf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Mike.

Helps to know agents aren't working "on commission" or some other nefarious approach.

I also have a sense that renting cars while at LB or LV will likely be cheaper than at the airports?

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: