myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How 2 separate your mast, how 2 climb white water, new vids!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: How 2 separate your mast, how 2 climb white water, new vids! Reply with quote

A couple of newly released videos.

Some of you might remember me asking for tips on how to climb the white water. After working on a video on how to climb white water in various conditions, I decided to compile a list of tips and make a short version instead. I have saved the long version for later, it took me months to edit, select and explain the different stages of a wave so I decided to set it aside at least for now. Please, do share your thoughts whether you are an expert or complete beginner.

My mast got stuck many times, whether from sand, salt or dust from friction, I was able to "unstick" them by using a combination of these techniques. I believe Ezzy masts are more prone to this as their junction is the reverse of others. We leave our sails rigged over here so the salt eventually binds the mast together.

Future videos will include the waterstart (incl. extreme light wind, swimming technique, etc.), the custom camera mount I use. I would love to make a jibe video but I don't really have much to add to the current videos out there, that and I can't jibe Laughing

kevinkan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice!
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tips for separating a stuck mast. Although a bit of prevention with electrical tape around the junction does work wonders. It prevents water flowing out of the junction, and carrying sand into the connection until it gets stuck. All the "lets try with 10 people" (or 2 booms) situations I have seen resulted from not using tape.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^+1

feel any video discussing mast separation should make a reference to that
i put electrical tape or duct tape - if i ran out of electrical
on mast joint in summer and winter
now the only issue i have had is - if snow gets in, it can freeze
put in front of car heater and problem solved

(lately had issue of RDM gasket on extension jamming @#$%^&*)
rollerrider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great videos, thanks! One if the problems I have with white water is falling in after crossing it. Probably because it brings me to a stand still. What helps me alot is to quickly tilt the mast forward after crossing or even right at the top of it getting power in the sail and then maybe a couple pumps. This helps me regain my balance.
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback.

rollerrider, it'll depend on how much wind you have once up there. It's then only an act of balance over bubbly waters! When it's super light, I may place my front foot in front of the mast track and might grab the mast too. It's basically the same type of balancing that happens once up after a lightwind waterstart at this point.

Now that I've hit more white water, in light winds, there's definitely a tilting motion with the sail while the body may remain straight. I seem to bend my front arm and bring my front hand right in front of me while the rear arm extends behind me. Then after the hit, I swing the sail back forward.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: