myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mast sections fit together too loosely
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a well-known problem in the Kilwells where a kink can develop between the top mast section and the ferrule. Easy enough to check this by just turning - and eyeballing - that section. If that is the problem there is nothing to be done. If it sails okay, I would keep using it.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep sanding the male ferrule down until it's snug.

DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
Is there any wobble? The kink could be a bend in the junction itself.
If you look at the mast from the base down and rotate it do you notice the kink rotating as well?
You can try some wide masking tape for now.
You don't want it super tight otherwise it'll likely get stuck.

I tend to agree while sight unseen. Many masts do not manufacture the ferrule as part of the bottom (or top) but epoxy the ferrule into place after each tube is made. Ideally, the taper of the male part of the ferrule will match the interior of the mast tube, but the ferrule's finish may not compare as well. This increases the risk of failure of the epoxy or incomplete coverage. Simply gluing the ferrule into place adds a location of possible failure, likely resulting in a flat spot or kink in the mast bend depending on exactly what failed.

A mast will wobble if the ferrule has collapsed even a tiny bit into the tube in which it is installed. If this is the case, the only way to resolve the issue requires removing the ferrule entirely, cleaning the inside of the mast tube of epoxy residue and "repotting" the ferrule to its exact insertion depth. Doing this is no easy task and failing to do it may make any additional diameter added to the exposed ferrule a moot point.

beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have overstated how loose it is. I was playing with it today, if you secure the bottom section the top will move approx 3/8" at the tip of the mast.
My neighbor has a digital micrometer and we were measuring the male and female end, the male section is perfectly round and the difference in size is something like a thousands of an inch. A piece of paper will not fit between them. It's possible that the female end is larger deeper inside because we couldn't measure there. There is no apparent taper on either end.
I'm thinking the gap in size is normal or perhaps I can just apply some spray paint which would probably wear off quickly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: