myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Repairing the Pin in a US Box Fin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Repairing the Pin in a US Box Fin Reply with quote

Could I get some advice on replacing the retaining pin for US box fins? I have a collection of these Finworks Wave fins, 3 boards, 2 sizes, mainland and Maui, and especially in Maui the pin is rusting and getting smaller. I like this fin and don't have a reason to change. And I hate demo-ing new equipment.

Is there anything different relative to the other thread in terms of getting the existing pin out?

Once I get the pin out where do I get a replacement?

Thanks,
fxop

0-tmp-fin-IMG_2638.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  31 KB
 Viewed:  8330 Time(s)

0-tmp-fin-IMG_2638.JPG

rswabsin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pin should have a small cut in it that runs the length of the pin. This should enable you to compress the pin with pliers and gradually pull them out assuming there not too corroded. Might have to loosen it up with WD-40. WindDance has replacements:
http://www.windance.com/Windsurf/Windsurf-Parts/Roll-pins-For-Fins/3418/

Rob
fxop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that was fast! Thanks rswabsin!

fxop
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a solid brass pin, or really stuck, stick the base in a VICE, using a socket as a spacer against the fin base, and close the vice.
You can just cut a galvanised, brass, or stainless nail of the appropriate diameter for the replacement fin pin.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way I have removed various pins is with a small electric drill. If the chuck will go small enough you can give the pin a spin as you pull it out. Works great on older HPL boom heads!
bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open the jaws of your bench vice just larger than the diameter of the pin. Set the fin base on the vice so the pin is between the jaws, pointing up, and then tap out the pin with a hammer. Once the pin is flush with the side of the base, use a drift pin to knock it through the rest of the way, or pull it out with a pair of pliers.

Replace with a stainless steel roll pin (spring pin) of the same diameter. McMaster Carr is a good source for that type of harware. You will probably have to by 50 times more than you need, but it will still only be about $5.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: