myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fin forward or Fin Back ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROBWIN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2001 10:13 am    Post subject: Fin forward or Fin Back ?? Reply with quote

I want to get better upwind performance in my Bic Tempo. Many times en marginal planing or even subplaning conditions. Fin should be forward or back ??

Thanks
windsurfer7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2001 7:25 pm    Post subject: RE: Fin forward or Fin Back ?? Reply with quote

Forward for more lift and windward ability. Moving fin back in powered conditions will give you better top end.
gracette

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2001 4:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Fin forward or Fin Back ?? Reply with quote

spyder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2001 4:38 am    Post subject: RE: Fin forward or Fin Back ?? Reply with quote

fin forward, also you can move your back footstraps a notch forward as well (line up inside back of strap with leading edge of the fin).

But also check the fin. Suggest good sized blade matched for the sail size, say 13-15 for a 6.5-7.0. I always have had good luck with Finworks or Rainbow (Teardrop).

Try also pumping the board onto a plane, while keeping the board flat.
ROBWIN

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2001 9:31 am    Post subject: Tahnk you Guay Reply with quote

Thank you for your help (and also for your help at uphauling large sails.
Your guess perfect. I sail in a lake at around 10 to 15Kts of wind with a 6.0 and my weight is 135 Pounds. I really like the Tempo (is my first shortboard after many years with longbords) and would like to use it for a long time. Did you ever try a sail larger than 6.0 ?? Would be too much for the baord ?

Other tips with it. ??

Thanks a lot

Hi from South Texas:

Ill guess youre sailing on a lake somewhere on maybe a 6.0. I presume youre light in the weight department. I had a Tempo a few years back and while its a board with many positive virtues, windward performance is not one of them.

You may find the best way is to remove the fin entirely and install it on a bigger board! Smile

Assuming thats not an option, consider a larger fin altogether. The Euro or Trimbox with which your board came is not very supportive of anything much bigger than 32 or 34 cm. (13 inches), however.

In true subplaning conditions, itll help to perform a partial rail ride, digging in the windward rail so youre riding the board like a giant longways daggerboard. Youll fall a lot at first.

In planing conditions, I have never found that moving the fin a couple of inches either way made a whole lot of difference in ANY aspect of performance, except that putting the fin too close to the tail increases tendency to spin out in chop.

Guy Racette
CC-111
Corpus Christi
jibes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2001 10:44 am    Post subject: RE: Fin forward or Fin Back ?? Reply with quote

actually I think fin back decreases spin-outage, but you lose some manueverability.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: