myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
harness first steps...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schakleton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2001 9:58 pm    Post subject: harness first steps... Reply with quote

Hi,

What is the best way to start with harnesses: getting the boom down or using bigger lines?

Tks
spyder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2001 12:52 am    Post subject: RE: harness first steps... Reply with quote

hi Tk -

I would keep the boom at slightly below shoulder, with fairly lengthy harness lines to start.

Adjustables are a good thing, as you get better, you can pull them in a bit.

A rule of thumb is grip the boom, and the line loops around your elbow. This is probably too long for most people, but good for starters.

BTW, here is series of older posts on this subject:
Spyders harness advice is right on. Take it from there, and on your next day of sailing add this: hook in, stabilize, unhook, stabilize, hook in, stabilize, unhook, stabilize, hook in, stabilize, unhook ... etc. In one day like that youll be teaching others to use the harness.

Another Mike \m/

I also vote for back foot first, for Mikes reason and others. So do several people who tried it that way after floundering too long attempting front foot first.
schakleton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 9:46 pm    Post subject: RE: harness first steps... Reply with quote

Hi Spyder,

I tried following your advise but my lines still seem to be to small...(as well as my abilities, acctually)

Anyway, ill keep my boom low for now and then raise it little by little ( this helps me with beachstarts also)
lturkevich

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2001 10:36 am    Post subject: RE: harness first steps... Reply with quote

I feel your pain -- I finally got it down last season after a lesson.

Adjust the boom to your sternum (just below shoulders) -- any lower and youll be airborne at the first gust. Adjust your lines as described (grip the boom, and the line loops around your elbow), and make sure they are balanced so they have equal pull when the sail is powered.

On the water, get in the harness once theres enough power in the sail (i.e., you need to lean back to counteract the pull). This naturally brings the lines closer as the rig tilts to windward. The key is that you should be lifting your hips UP and INTO the harness line. Once in, imagine sitting down.

Im an intermediate working on getting into the straps, but this worked for me. Good luck.
schakleton

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2001 7:19 pm    Post subject: RE: harness first steps... Reply with quote

Actually, I am doing exactly what you described...i was just wonder if that should be the right way...

Unfortunatelly, ive been facing strong ( for me, at least) and gusty winds, which have made it hard for me to get it down!

Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: