myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
fin selection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schakleton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2001 10:09 pm    Post subject: fin selection Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Techno 283 ( 46 cm fin!!!) and got a 6.0 sail: should I get a smaller fin? or it doesnt matter? ( since im a beginner maybe i wont notice any difference...)

Tks
spyder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2001 12:55 am    Post subject: RE: fin selection Reply with quote

this is a wide board that needs a lot of fin to get it up and planing.

keep the fin for now, and change to smaller if you are fin walking. This board is made for light wind, big sails (6.0-10.0).
juanlema

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2001 3:17 pm    Post subject: RE: fin selection Reply with quote

Thank you once more, Spyder ( for both answers)!
schakleton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2001 10:25 pm    Post subject: RE: fin selection Reply with quote

Thank you, man.

If you get back here pls, tell me what this fin walking feels like...
Homer55

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2001 9:11 am    Post subject: RE: fin selection Reply with quote

From my experiences fin walking is that since your fin is so big and your are going so fast that only the fin and a small surface around it are touching the water, this can be fun but its hard to control and you will spin out in the water alot.
It also means you need to switch to a smaller fin.

Perhaps spyder will provide more insite...
hamblett

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2001 9:28 pm    Post subject: RE: fin selection Reply with quote

A Fin Walk is also known as a Tail Walk and from my experience happens when the flow across the fin causes so much lift that it wants to raise the tail of the board up and out of the water (speed has a lot to do with this). Switching to a smaller fin reduces this lift and makes the tail of the board much easier to control. Depending on the board, sail, technique, conditions, etc., it also reduces the amount of time to get onto a plane.

Having harness lines set too far forward can cause spin out as well (a tip I learned from a Peter Hart video). In the past I personally was setting my harness lines too far forward (causing me to spin out a lot) and this single tip has made the world of difference!

Watching some guys tail walk on purpose is a sight to behold, I can assure you. 15+ yards with the nose of the board above their heads is a testament to proper tuning, speed and control.

Good luck in your sailing endeavors!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: