myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
for beginners...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schakleton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 9:56 pm    Post subject: for beginners... Reply with quote

Im looking for a nice spot with a steady 10-15 kt wind and flat water to start with the harness ( and maybe straps)in the Caribean, Florida Keys, Central America, Hawaii...can you recommend some place?
spyder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2001 3:02 am    Post subject: RE: for beginners... Reply with quote

Lac Bay in Bonaire
schakleton

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2001 4:28 pm    Post subject: RE: for beginners... Reply with quote

Thank you, spyder.
Ive already been there ( diving, only) and next time i will of course try the windsurfing...
...but i would like going to a new place (for me): dont you know another spot - with this profile - to add on?

Lac Bay in Bonaire
spyder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 12:32 am    Post subject: RE: for beginners... Reply with quote

bonaire is very consistent, getting skunked is no fun.

I too did Bonaire as diving first, then did windsurfing there 4 times after. The windsurfing experience is much different than the diving. Lac Bay is fun to hang out if you go to Jibe City. There is excellent snorkeling there too (upwind).

As for other places, Hatteras in the summer is an idea, and maybe Cayman (very lite trades)

Id recommend Aruba, but its more hectic sailing there (gusty & typically strong)
spyder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 12:33 am    Post subject: RE: for beginners... Reply with quote

caberete is also a choice spot in the summer.
schakleton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 10:19 pm    Post subject: RE: for beginners... Reply with quote

Yeah, im convinced to give Bonaire another shot...if you get back here, tell me which season do you think it will be better ( for beginners).

Thank you again!
spyder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 11:15 pm    Post subject: RE: for beginners... Reply with quote

bonaire blows good mostly all year except for around october-dec.

best season is May-July
good season is Feb-April
stumpp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 9:52 pm    Post subject: RE: for beginners... Reply with quote

I agree that Bonaire is good for beginners and also strongly recommend that you avoid the Carrib. between late Sept and early Dec as the wind tends to really be iffy. Avoid the siren song of cheap travel then (its cheap because nobody wants to go there when it rains). I would also avoid Hawaii - much to tough at your level. Hatteras is good - lots of waist deep water in the sound. Id also consider aruba - instruction is really good there and there is a fairly large shallow area to work on harness etc. The gear is good (at Vela), nice folk, good food and its easier to get to than Bonaire. The wind can get strong and gusty as you get close to the peak in June, but its generally 5.0-6.5 sailing in the spring. Where are you from? There are also good spots that are off the beaten path around the usa...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: