myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
wind forecasts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juanlema

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2001 8:17 am    Post subject: wind forecasts Reply with quote

Hi,

For those who used to successfully predict when its gonna blow ( iwindsurf meteorogists aside)...can you share some simple advices based on you own experiences?
spitefullbrat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2001 4:06 pm    Post subject: RE: wind forecasts Reply with quote

1: If you fart and is lingers around you it is a bad day to go windsurfing.
2: If your hair is streaming out horizontaly it is time to go windsurfing.
3: If you cant stand up straight against the wind, Its definetely time to go windsurfing.
captainjc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2001 9:14 pm    Post subject: RE: wind forecasts Reply with quote

might depend on where you are located. fartboys method can work, but to take it further how big is your travel range and desire. Actual current wind observations are a good start;on the internet, Iwindsurf is a good start, then bouy sites and cams, if the weather is coming, you might see it upwind at a meter, we have telephone #s in florida giving a couple wind readings. next use forcasts, NOAA NWS WAM RUC... to try to know when to be observant, and always sleep with your weather radio. thats a basic start.
juanlema

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2001 8:45 am    Post subject: RE: wind forecasts Reply with quote

Hi Captain,

I am in Brazil and we dont have many cams available around here. Anyway, despite of the fact that predictions are tough to make even when you are a professional, I would like to gather some info that could help me a forecast for the next hours: the worst thing about getting skunked is to wait all day to find out about it! So , if I can predict in the morning that the wind is gonna blow late ( or will not, at all) then you can enjoy the day doing some other thing.
For Ex.: I bought a portable barometer ; they say if you get an abrupt fall on it in , the wind is coming...how you define an abrupt fall...? how many Mbs in which period of time?
Other one: Ive read that when the wind , as a result of pressure gradients ( high altitude) is blowing to the sea , it improves the breeze and makes it appear earlier; in the other direction it kills it...is that right? how can you determine the direction and intensity of the wind in higher altitudes? maybe, watching the higher clouds but what when the air is stable and clouds are usually not visible...?
sometimes you are travelling in a foreign country and forecasts/cams are just not available: that will be the time you will depend more on your observations...but what should we observe?

Sorry for the long answer...and the poor english!

Juan
captainjc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2001 7:26 am    Post subject: RE: wind forecasts Reply with quote

You are on the right track but I dont have the experience in your area to help you. keep on observing and if you are able to get reports from someone at the windsurf site to compare to your observations you may learn and be able to teach the rest of us some valuable lessons. Maybe local fisherman would share knowledge. We had a long boat trip once and went to the key west weather station beforehand, and found the weatherman to be very friendly and he shared his time and insight with us gladly. best of luck
juanlema

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2001 2:55 pm    Post subject: RE: wind forecasts Reply with quote

Hi Mike and captain,

Yes, we do have thermals here too...and that leads to my point: last Saturday, it was sunny, very hot and the water was normally cool...but no wind at all!!! I am certainly not an expert ( meteorologist or windsurfer) but I presume everybody here has already experienced some day like this. So, what has killed the wind and how to identify this phenomenon earlier?

If i found out something about this - no mambo jambo stuff, promise- ill let you know.

Juan
ronw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2001 4:20 pm    Post subject: RE: wind forecasts Reply with quote

Juan,

Have you checked out the <a href=/community.iws?topic=Newsletter&display=Articles&listID=2>Meteorology Articles</a> we have available here? There may be some useful information in there to help you with your forecasts. Just click the Meteorology link to the left under Feature Articles.

Ron Waddell
iWindsurf.com
juanlema

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2001 4:48 pm    Post subject: RE: wind forecasts Reply with quote

Hi Ron,

Yes, I did and I specially liked Jack Titlows the pressures on ( ive just noticed he sent another one). In fact, I think you should have another forum dedicated to this issue...

Juan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: